Help with home cinema amp.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I have been looking for a new home cinema amp for a while now and currently have a sony stdr2400es which i have just run in but am not really getting along with.

The saga started with a cambridge 540R V3 which sounded ace but was too big for the room (i.e. too loud when in the sweet zone) so i had a cambridge 340R for about a year which i liked the sound of.

However due to an act of fate (and the cambridge going into meltdown) I ended up with an Onkyo 307 for about 6 weeks which despite being much less refined really showed the cambridge up when watching movies in terms of excitement and general ability to steer effects and create a more involving sound stage.

So my current dilemma; after a failed repair i opted to upgrade to the sony due to it's 5 star reviews and great features but am strugling with it's rather direct sound. I am feeding it with optical signals from a ps3 and a humax 9300 PVR and using bose acoustimass 6 speakers and when it gets a good movie soundtrack it sound breathtaking but since i watch tv more than movies it produces a rather hard and emotionless sound, it does produce it well and faithfully but it's not particularly nice to listen to.

For the first time ever i am stumped, I want the smoothness of a cambridge, the excitement of an onkyo and the insight of the sony but with a bit of warmth and the ability to forgive a poorly produced tv soundtrack. My budget is currently £450 but am considering things like NAD because I only really need 5.1 at the moment since i still have a giant tosh CRT telly with no HDMI,

can anyone help?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
marky66:
Hi there,

I have been looking for a new home cinema amp for a while now and currently have a sony stdr2400es which i have just run in but am not really getting along with.

The saga started with a cambridge 540R V3 which sounded ace but was too big for the room (i.e. too loud when in the sweet zone) so i had a cambridge 340R for about a year which i liked the sound of.

However due to an act of fate (and the cambridge going into meltdown) I ended up with an Onkyo 307 for about 6 weeks which despite being much less refined really showed the cambridge up when watching movies in terms of excitement and general ability to steer effects and create a more involving sound stage.

So my current dilemma; after a failed repair i opted to upgrade to the sony due to it's 5 star reviews and great features but am strugling with it's rather direct sound. I am feeding it with optical signals from a ps3 and a humax 9300 PVR and using bose acoustimass 6 speakers and when it gets a good movie soundtrack it sound breathtaking but since i watch tv more than movies it produces a rather hard and emotionless sound, it does produce it well and faithfully but it's not particularly nice to listen to.

For the first time ever i am stumped, I want the smoothness of a cambridge, the excitement of an onkyo and the insight of the sony but with a bit of warmth and the ability to forgive a poorly produced tv soundtrack. My budget is currently £450 but am considering things like NAD because I only really need 5.1 at the moment since i still have a giant tosh CRT telly with no HDMI,

can anyone help?

Maybe the 2400es is just too much for your speakers.

A

Anonymous

how do you mean too much for the speakers? I don't have the room for bigger speakers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts