Help with hi-fi setup needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I'm looking to put a small hifi system together for my computer. I've mostly used it for games so far so I have a set of Logitech speakers for it (don't slam me for that [;)]) but I'd like to add a bit of extra quality to it now for some music.

I'd like to mention straight away that the space they'll be positioned it is not great. That's why I need small speakers They'll be sitting on top of my desk either side of the screen. The room is 12ftx8ft where the desk is sitting in the corner, so the speakers will be quite close to the wall. I'd also like to add a subwoofer to it as well as I like a bit of bass, especially if the system will also be used for games. My budget is around £300.

So now the suggestions. After browsing thru forums I think one of my favourites is a pair of QA 2010s (I want the speakers to have white housing). Now the amp. It has to be silver to match the rest of my stuff. I thought that picking up a second hand NAD from one famous auction site would probably do me fine. Problem is I need one with sub-out. Also I quite like the idea of picking up a Rotel. As for the sub (correct me if I'm wrong - I don't know a lot about the subject) I require something that has a fairly fast action and a tight bass for music and games. What about W D SW150? Whould that be any good. I saw others recommending MJ Pro 50 or something from BK Elec. What is your opinion guys? I call for help.

Ps. I usually listen to rock, r'n'b, a bit of dance and techno music and also I play games so recommend something for that sort of use.

Ps2. I also thought of going for a set of monitor speakers like the A2s but since I require a sub as well I don't think I will be able to plug one in into a set like that.

A

Anonymous

ear:nad qacouscits.Wharfedale 150 has speaker inputs.no need to have a amp with sub out

Do u have a particular NAD model in mind? Also with the sub and speaker level inputs - wouldn't be there any problems with crossover frequency?

A

Anonymous

romseyraver:Buy the box, not the speakers. Problem solved.

From what I see I would have to pay around £200 mark for it. For that price would it not be better just to get a nad?

A

Anonymous

Just a suggestion of something different. If you want just an amp, then the NAD it is.

A

Anonymous

romseyraver:Just a suggestion of something different. If you want just an amp, then the NAD it is.

Thanks anyway. By the way, would the QA 2010s be a good choice of speakers for set-up like that?

A

Anonymous

None better for the money, by most accounts. Should suit fine. Check power outage and impedance of amp within limits of speakers and it should sound dandy.

A

Anonymous

romseyraver:None better for the money, by most accounts. Should suit fine. Check power outage and impedance of amp within limits of speakers and it should sound dandy.

Thanks for reply. Now, I'm not the most clued up guy in this matter so I need some clarification. The QA 2010s are 6 ohm speakers. So obviously I take it that an amp that does 6-ohms is going to run them. What about amps that do 4 or 8 ohms. Could you explain that to me a bit, please?

A

Anonymous

If you're buying a new or newish amp, don't worry about it. Almost all modern amps have an impedance range or between 4 and 16 ohms. I was giving away my age when thinking it was a problem. With old amps you needed to match amp and speakers somewhat, so that you didn't pump too much current into the speakers. Generally, one could match up but not down, so a 4 ohm amp output would power 4/8/16 ohm speakers, but not 2 ohm speakers. Likewise, an 8 ohm amp output would not be recommended to power 6 or 4 ohm speakers. It was not usually a problem when powering a pair of speakers, but when stringing speakers together it could be, since that reduces the impedance of each speaker and therefore tended to overload old amps. I remember blowing an old AC30 by driving too many speakers from it. Happy days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts