Help with Dining Room Set-up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for some help on what to do with my HiFi set-up in my dining room. Currently I've got a Marantz PM6002 amp, Marantz CD6002 CD player, a Denon TU1800 Tuner and an Apple Airport Express all sitting on an Optimum 2000 rack, and connected to Mordaunt Short 902i speakers on Gale T60 stands. Personally I really like this set-up. However, the missus does not.

We've now redecorated the dining room and I've been told to get something smaller and more discrete. So basically, the large separates stuff has to go, and the speakers off stands and on the wall (and smaller speakers).

So, I think on the speakers I'm limited to the Q Acoustics 2010's and to get their matching wall brackets. I'm really not sure how these will sound mounted on the wall.

For the source of music I think I have two options...

1) Get the Arcam Solo Mini. The issue with doing this is finding a "nice" shelf to put it on, and also then finding a way of hiding the cables discretely without wrecking the newly decorated dining room.

2) Drive the new speakers from my home cinema amp in my living room. The dining room and living room are separated by a wall which already has a hole for a cabling in it. My current Sony STR-DA1200ES will drive a second set of speakers. However, I was looking at getting the Onkyo NR-708 which can drive a second zone with a separate source if required.

Can anyone advise on the above or any other options which I've not thought of?

Many Thanks....

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
An iPod Classic (loaded with ALAC files) + a Beresford DAC + your amp + Q Acoustics 2010?

Or cut-out the iPod Classic. Instead, stream from your computer, via Airport Express, to the Beresford DAC/amp/Q Acoustics 2010 combo?

A

Anonymous

The problem I have is the full size amp needs to go, otherwise I could just have the amp with airport express attached. :-(

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
FWIW, I'm considering the following - or a B&W Zep' Mini - for my kitchen-diner:

The wee-ish, 7cm-high x 44cm-long, Rotel RA-04 amp; very wee, 5cm-high x 25cm-long, Beresford TC-7510 DAC; very wee Q Acoustics 2020; Airport Express??

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Personally I don't see the point in having a fancy set up in a dining room or kitchen as you're unlikey to be sitting in the optimum position, there is usually other noise in the back gorund and fore ground, and chances are there will be people talking too, so all you need it seems is something to provide background music.

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
I got some hi-quality Speakercraft built in ceiling speakers. The quality is really more than good enough for the casual listening that I do in the kitchen/diner. Then if you've got the money the new Arcam Neo should take care of everything else. You'll have to chase the speaker and ariel cables in, but you'll only do it once. I used a combination of ready made connection plates and home-adapted blanking plates to get a professional finish. Make sure you use a screened speaker cable for best results. (I actually only use one of those Onkyo all in ones, but when funds allow! )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts