Help with choosing amp for Dali ikon 5

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there!
can anybody please recommend an amplifier to run my new Dali ikon 5 speakers?
I don't know much about hi-fi equipment but read somewhere Nad could go well? My budget is anything up to about $700 (though i would prefer to spend less) and I am happy to buy used or ex-demo.

Thanks

from Arbie.

A

Anonymous

I was adviced by my dealer to partner Dali with Denon as NAD could be abit aggressive with my Dali 1's. The Dali 5 is more or less a larger floorstanding version of the Dali 1 soundwise. They use the same drivers but the Dali has more of them :) Denon is "warmer" than NAD.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
I'd actually disagree with this - if partnered with the right cables, NAD can sound quite warm. The new C356BEE is within your budget and is an excellent match for the Dali's.

A

Anonymous

Hi
I'm have the Ikon 6 (Mk I) partnered with the NAD C355BEE and it sounds superb IMO. Wouldn't consider it beeing aggressive at all.

T

the record spot

I'd recommend you check out the Harman Kardon HK990 or the Leema Pulse Mark 2, both of which excelled when I heard them in the summer with the Ikon 5. They were partnered with a Harman HD990 source CDP and made some good sounds. The ribbon tweeter integrated seamlessly (some folk have an issue with "brightness" from these or metal dome tweeters - neither are if, as with all separates, they're partnered well).

Another option, which seems to be worth considering, is an AV option: Yamaha's RX-V667 has 90w per channel, but being a 7.1 amp, you can bridge some of the amps to deliver 180wpc. The really good thing about the Yammy is it's a high current design apparently, which helps seal the deal - anyone can knock out a high power amp, but this takes it up a notch or two. Seriously worth considering. £350 delivered currently (in the UK) and it's also a fine pre-amp, good headphone socket, a decent phono stage and capability for an iPod dock - tons of good functionality. I'd normally never look at AV designs, but this one would be an exception if it sounds as good as everything else about it looks.

A

Anonymous

my yamaha as-500 is much better than my yamaha rxv-765. in fact any stereo amp ive had has sounded much better than the avr.

i dont think avr's are yet able to compete with a proper stereo amp..

T

the record spot

maxflinn:
my yamaha as-500 is much better than my yamaha rxv-765. in fact any stereo amp ive had has sounded much better than the avr.

But for the reasons I mention Max, I would be inclined to agree with you. However, a high current delivery, ample power and a fine spec would make it worth considering IMO. Maybe your 765 is low current, maybe it is rubbish with music, whatever. The 667's capability to bridge and deliver 180wpc high current amplification should make a difference.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:maxflinn:

But for the reasons I mention Max, I would be inclined to agree with you. However, a high current delivery, ample power and a fine spec would make it worth considering IMO. Maybe your 765 is low current, maybe it is rubbish with music, whatever. The 667's capability to bridge and deliver 180wpc high current amplification should make a difference.maybe rs, i dont know.. my avr has 95 watts per channel and would be similar to the 667 on paper, actually id say the 667 replaced my one..

i havn't a clue about current or how high current may help, just saying, my avr isnt a patch on any of the integrated's ive had..

T

the record spot

Can you bridge the amps in your Yammy Max? Might be worth trying it out if you can if only for interest's sake.

A

Anonymous

dont know, but im game, if it can be done ill try it.. how can i find out?

A

Anonymous

maxflinn, I'm with you. I've never heard an AV amp that gets close to a stereo amp for music. Also, power alone doesn't guarantee quality. Frankly (and I haven't heard one) but at £350 I'd not expect much from a stereo amp, let alone an AV amp. There's no getting round the complexity of design in AV gear.

T

the record spot

The spec on the Yamaha products site mentions you can assign the amps for biamping...which is what it says you can for the 667. Maybe worth checking out the difference it makes. Hifi dream - more tweakage!! You'd be on around 200wpc mate...not sure how you do that, but there should be something in your manual.

A

Anonymous

ah bi-amping? yea im pretty sure the yammy can do that.. but, does that require speakers with two sets of binding posts? if so im out of luck, im currently using mission 760i's and am getting new dynaudios tmw. both only have one set
emotion-7.gif

T

the record spot

maxflinn:ah bi-amping? yea im pretty sure the yammy can do that.. but, does that require speakers with two sets of binding posts? if so im out of luck, im currently using mission 760i's and am getting new dynaudios tmw. both only have one set
emotion-7.gif

I'm not sure if it means that, rather it just doubles the power to each channel as opposed to requiring additional wiring. Double check, as it means your amp will beef up significantly without having to rewire anything.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:maxflinn:ah bi-amping? yea im pretty sure the yammy can do that.. but, does that require speakers with two sets of binding posts? if so im out of luck, im currently using mission 760i's and am getting new dynaudios tmw. both only have one set
emotion-7.gif

I'm not sure if it means that, rather it just doubles the power to each channel as opposed to requiring additional wiring. Double check, as it means your amp will beef up significantly without having to rewire anything.well bi-amping is out rs as it does require two binding posts.. i dont know about bridging, i looked through the menus on my avr but cant find anything..

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Tromboa:
Hi
I'm have the Ikon 6 (Mk I) partnered with the NAD C355BEE and it sounds superb IMO. Wouldn't consider it beeing aggressive at all.

At the budget end, I still think NAD and Dali is one of the best combos.
If you still haven'tchosen arbie_j, try listening to 2 or 3 alternatives and see what you think for yourself - there's no substitute for your own ears!

T

the record spot

Grottyash:
maxflinn, I'm with you. I've never heard an AV amp that gets close to a stereo amp for music. Also, power alone doesn't guarantee quality. Frankly (and I haven't heard one) but at £350 I'd not expect much from a stereo amp, let alone an AV amp. There's no getting round the complexity of design in AV gear.

Yes, hence the reference to 'high current' - the rest in the current Yammy 67 range aren't - except the £1200 model. If nothing else, it's worth a try...I know the "perceived wisdom" well enough, but it's good to challenge that perspective as well.

EDIT: Totally agree with Audio Affair's POV as well - try a few and decide for yourself. All the opinions under the sun don't count for much when it's your ears and wallet that'll ultimately decide!

TRENDING THREADS