HELP: Wi-fi + Sonos issues

Juzzie Wuzzie

My wi-fi setup is as follows:

Sky Router (modem only) + Sonos Bridge + QNAP NAS 220 into Apple Airport Extreme

At the other end of the house, in somewhat of a wi-fi deadspot, I've got an Apple Airport Express (extending the wi-fi) with a Sonos Play 1 plugged into it via ethernet.

Current issues are:

1. if the Sonos Play 1 isn't connected by ethernet, it is not detected by Sonos controller (even though with the Express, the wi-fi signal in the room is strong); and

2. even if the Sonos Play 1 is connected by ethernet, it can't play music from the NAS as the "network speed is too slow"!

Can anyone help me here? Would a better wi-fi extender solve the problem?

HELP!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
My wi-fi setup is as follows:

Sky Router (modem only) + Sonos Bridge + QNAP NAS 220 into Apple Airport Extreme

At the other end of the house, in somewhat of a wi-fi deadspot, I've got an Apple Airport Express (extending the wi-fi) with a Sonos Play 1 plugged into it via ethernet.

Current issues are:

1. if the Sonos Play 1 isn't connected by ethernet, it is not detected by Sonos controller (even though with the Express, the wi-fi signal in the room is strong); and

2. even if the Sonos Play 1 is connected by ethernet, it can't play music from the NAS as the "network speed is too slow"!

Can anyone help me here? Would a better wi-fi extender solve the problem?

HELP!

So the Airport Express is connecting to the Airport Extreme wirelessly as a network extender? I'm lead to believe that cuts network throughput in half. That may be enough to stop the Play:1 from playing, especially if you're using lossless or uncompressed files.

Do you have any other Sonos devices other than the Play:1 and Bridge? If the wi-fi can't reach to the part of the house the Play:1 is in then neither will the Bridge's wireless, it isn't magic, it's based on wi-fi and has the same range limitations. The idea of the Sonos mesh network is that you have multiple devices around the house, creating the mesh which gives you complete coverage. Sonos will ignore your own wi-fi (unless they're both on the same wireless channel and then they'll interfere with each other), so the fact that you have the Airport Express in the same room as the Play:1 is irrelevant, the Play:1 will ignore it.

You could shell out £39 for another bridge and place it halfway between the existing Bridge and the Play:1, it would only need a power lead. Hopefully that would bridge the gap (dur!) and mean you wouldn't need to wire the Play:1 to the Airport Express.

Also check which wireless channels you're using, both the A.Ext and A.Exp need to be on different channels to the one Sonos is using (choose ONLY 1, 6 or 11) and must not be using any 40mHz/wideband/300Mbps modes as they hog almost the entire channel range.

Juzzie Wuzzie

Cheese - front and back end of house are on different circuits, so not sure that would work.

LHC - will give all of that a go over the weekend and see what the outcome is. If I put another Play 1 in the Kitchen (half way between current Play 1 and the Bridge) would that "spread the mesh"? I am intending to do that in any event.

Thanks to both!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Juzzie Wuzzie said:
LHC - will give all of that a go over the weekend and see what the outcome is. If I put another Play 1 in the Kitchen (half way between current Play 1 and the Bridge) would that "spread the mesh"? I am intending to do that in any event.

Oh yes, the more you have the stronger the network gets. I have two Bridges, neither of them wired (my Connect is the wired component as it sits next to my router), solely to reinforce the mesh.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts