Help to choose the best tv

aitch

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I am looking to buy a new tv set and could really use some advice. Please would anyone reading this post care to comment on what in their opinion is the best 32" full hd backlit smart tv dvd combi with good sound quality at the keenest price possible. Also, what might be the best place to shop for my new tv set? Any constructive advice gratefully received.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
You need to state how much money you are willing to spend; "keenest possible price" is not specific enough.

People on this forum tend not to favour television / DVD combination machines. Why do you want one, to save money, to save space, for convenience? Since you can now buy basic but very decent Blu-Ray players at prices between £50 and £80 (Blu-Ray players will also play DVDs, and Blu-Ray discs are higher quality than DVDs) I would urge you to consider a Blu-Ray player rather than just a DVD player. If however, it is strictly a DVD machine that you want, then other people may be able to help.

Don't forget to give your budget, otherwise all advice will be unfocused.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
32" isn't really my sector of the TV market, but I'm not sure if there are many full backlit (as opposed to edge-lit) TVs at such a relatively small size, though I'd be more than happy for someone else to prove me wrong.

D

Deleted member 2457

John Lewis is generally the best place to buy TVs from but I don't think they have got what you are asking for. I would agree with splitting the TV and DVD player up.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
If your heart is set on a 32" television with a built-in DVD player, then, which I found by filtering for "up to 32" and "built-in DVD player" from their general list of TVs, Currys have these 19 machines, though of course I do not know how good any of them are.

Actually, I do know how good they are, and the answer is "Not very". One indication of that is that all the machines have only a Freeview tuner, not a Freeview HD tuner. Which is logical I suppose, because their screen resolutions are only HD Ready, not Full HD. I could go on, but I won't. I just don't like to see people unwittingly spending money on inferior products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm, on second thoughts maybe I've been a bit harsh and dismissive, my apologies. I've just spent two hours watching Standard Definition television on my smallest television, a 42" HD Ready plasma in my bedroom. And, the two channels I was watching (on Freeview) were BBC1 and ITV3, the latter not particularly known for its signal strength. I must say, that both channels looked pretty decent and sharp. Maybe that was because since the Pioneer's resolution was only 1024 x 768, it has to upscale lowly Standard Definition broadcasts less than a Full HD set might. So, since you are aiming at a 32" set, smaller than my 42" HD Ready Pioneer television, then maybe an HD Ready set, and with only a Freeview tuner rather than a Freeview HD tuner, would be fine after all. And yes, using a DVD player rather than a Blu-Ray player might also be fine on so small a television.

Apologies again, my initial comments were influenced by my interest in (much!) larger televisions than your proposed 32" purchase.

aitch

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to all who have contributed to this post so far.

Unfortunately, I am working to a tight budget, but would still like to get as much as I can for the very limited funds I have available. The inbuilt dvd is because I'd like to wall mount the set due to limited space, and would really like it all to be self-contained. I expect that in a year or two all of the tv dvd combis will have a built in blueray and hd tuner, but not sure I want to wait that long.

To this end I found these two receivers:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3552012.htm

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/toshiba-32d3454db-smart-32-led-tv-with-built-in-dvd-player-22070276-pdt.html#cat-0

Does anyone have an opinion or have any personal experience of using either of these two sets, or know of any similar (better) models?

In the past, when visiting my local Tesco, I've stood in front of a whole array of tvs all showing the same channel at once, and I usually find myself drawn to a particular set which in my opinion has the best (clearer, sharper best definition, true colours etc). Suprisingly, this 'best picture' is not always (although it can be) on the receiver with a leading brand name, but can be on an unheard of make. So, choosing the right set can be tough, especially when you need to consider HD Ready, Full HD, side lit, back lit, led, lcd and a mind boggling array of other features and options. I think it's probably that I'm getting to old for all this new technology. Bring back the 26" CRT with preset tuner buttons and just four knobs for volume, brightness, contrast and colour!

As for sound quality, I've heard the sound emitting from the inbuilt loudspeakers of my neighbours lovely flat screen tv, and it sounds to me fairly similar to the sound I used to get from my pocket transistor radio which I had as a child way back in the '70s. To improve upon this, I suspect that some form of external loudspeaker speaker is required? Any suggestions on this would also be welcome.

aitch

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Soundbar may have to come later if I can't source one within my present budget. Guess I'll have to tolerate thin sound until then.

aitch

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Just remembered that I have a 5-1 home cinema speaker system with subwoofer which I used to use some years ago packed away in a box somewhere. Although this would mean scattering speakers around the room where space allows, I guess this would at least improve the sound without the need for me to spend more money right now?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
aitch said:
Thanks to all who have contributed to this post so far.

Unfortunately, I am working to a tight budget, but would still like to get as much as I can for the very limited funds I have available. The inbuilt dvd is because I'd like to wall mount the set due to limited space, and would really like it all to be self-contained. I expect that in a year or two all of the tv dvd combis will have a built in blueray and hd tuner, but not sure I want to wait that long.

To this end I found these two receivers:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3552012.htm

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs...

Does anyone have an opinion or have any personal experience of using either of these two sets, or know of any similar (better) models?

In the past, when visiting my local Tesco, I've stood in front of a whole array of tvs all showing the same channel at once, and I usually find myself drawn to a particular set which in my opinion has the best (clearer, sharper best definition, true colours etc). Suprisingly, this 'best picture' is not always (although it can be) on the receiver with a leading brand name, but can be on an unheard of make. So, choosing the right set can be tough, especially when you need to consider HD Ready, Full HD, side lit, back lit, led, lcd and a mind boggling array of other features and options. I think it's probably that I'm getting to old for all this new technology. Bring back the 26" CRT with preset tuner buttons and just four knobs for volume, brightness, contrast and colour!

As for sound quality, I've heard the sound emitting from the inbuilt loudspeakers of my neighbours lovely flat screen tv, and it sounds to me fairly similar to the sound I used to get from my pocket transistor radio which I had as a child way back in the '70s. To improve upon this, I suspect that some form of external loudspeaker speaker is required? Any suggestions on this would also be welcome.

Looking at the specification of your two receivers, the Argos television is Full HD, whereas the Curry television is only HD Ready. And, VERY IMPORTANTLY, the specification for the Argos machine says that the DVD section is STEREO (only, not 5.1 surround sound). I assume that the DVD section of the Currys machine will also be stereo only, though you may wish to check that. So, if the DVD machines are stereo only, then you certainly won't be getting true surround sound from your newly-resurrected Videologic speakers. You might get some sort of simulated surround-sound mix, but not the real thing. So, if you bought a new DVD that had a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack, the built-in DVD of the Argos machine WILL NOT be able to play in in 5.1 surround sound, but only in stereo.

I really feel that you are trying to do too much with too little money.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
aitch said:

As a general point, when comparing televisions in a shop, (if necessary speak to one of the assistants) make sure that all the televisions are operating in similar viewing modes - Dynamic or Vivid would be similar to each other. But if you have some televisions on Dynamic / Vivid and other televisions on Standard or Movie, that would not be a fair comparison.

D

Deleted member 2457

bastianvandergraaff said:
Im thinking about buying the new LG OLED Screen. Anyone has a good review?
All the review websites say good things. Some mention judder and poor motion, but I think the issues are mainly source related from what I've seen. As long as you have a Sky box, and Blu-Ray player you should be fine. Buy from John Lewis too, just in case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts