Help required with crackling (not the pork sort!)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, after some quick advice. I have a pretty dated system in my lounge but it does what I need it to do, or at least it did. I have a YAMAHA DSPAX640SE as here (http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1431) running Mission FS1 as here (http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2669), lately the speakers have started to crackle and distort (sounds pretty much like a CB radio) at high / peaks in people's voices or sounds. Low sounds or background sounds are not affected. For example I can be playing on call of duty and they are okay - loud as I like, helicopters flying around room, bombs going off, but then on the talking bits it sounds crap, similar with the TV and music too.

Was given some money for Xmas so if cannot fix will buy some new gear but thought it was worth trying first, maybe some settings have changed - have tried changing things but cannot get it back to work. Any thoughts, Amp, speakers or both?

Thanks in advance.

idc

I would start with the basics and check the connections, particularly the speaker wires. They ends can oxidise and then the connection is not so good. If they are bare wire trim them to get new clean wire, or if you use banana plugs, give them a clean with metal polish.

If that does not work you want to isolate where the fault is, so can you run different speakers off the amp and see if they distort? If they do the amp is the problem, if they don't the speakers are.

A

Anonymous

Wel gone around and checked connections and they seemed fine. then whilst I had everything out decided i would disconnect my mission 771's from my unit in the dining room and try these. Result is that the 771s work great so it would seem that my fs1s are knackered. So all i need now is a speaker system thats as good as my 771s, but now for the tricky bit - need to be small enough to be wall mounted and hidden behind 'her' curtains. Am thinking Boston Soundware XS they seem to get a good write up. Any other ideas - ideally no more than 250 - 260.

IDC- thanks for the reply.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts