Help required on dipping my toe in the music server arena!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
OK, so after hearing the NAIM HDX and being blown away by by its usability I want something similar. So, i'd like some advice on my options, here's the criteria/options:

Budget = £250 - £500 hence, I cant afford the Naim HDX :)
Sound quality and convenience/usability are of equal importance, this means for me I dont want to use my PC for a music server as I dont want the noise, power consumption, etc

Options:
1. Something like the Cambridge Audio music server would be ideal apart from having to re-rip my entire music collection! (unless it supports external drives?)
2. I could buy an ipod classic and arcam r-doc?
3. Get something like the Naim but cheaper? Like the Linn Sneaky DS and External drive?

So what's my best option for Sound Quality and conveniance?
Also, most of my music is MP3 or WMA in 190 to 320kbps, should I start ripping in FLAC or WAV??

John Duncan

Start slowly. Sounds like you have a colleciton ripped to PC already, so play them through your hifi via a wired or wireless client. You could do that with Airport Express or Squeezebox AND a decent DAC like Beresford or DACMagic at either end of your budget.

Unless of course you want it all self-contained.......

A

Anonymous

hmm...I do have a 40gb collection but dont want to use my PC as the source since I dont like leaving it on. Its only on as required, usually to rip or burn a cd.

So i dont really want the wireless music sender option...sorry :)

Really I want a cheaper Naim HDX (but no PC solutions please) and preferably with an external HDD

Does anyone make something like the Linn Sneaky but without the amp?

A

Anonymous

Thanks JD
I actually stumbled accross Ripcast - great site.
All the solutions just seem to be a bit industrial!

Does a squeezebox support NAS or external HDDs?

A

Anonymous

You want something like a Sony NAC HD1.

However, I would recommend buying a small laptop for music at less than £300, and spend £100-£200 on a DAC.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, the laptop could work but my listening room is quite minimal and I dont really want a laptop sitting on my system.
I'll look at the sony...

A

Anonymous

I like the look of the sony. I read it has a usb interface but wonder if it supports external HDDs?

I also cant find any reviews apart from press releases which dont mention what bitrates it supports or whether it has pre-outs....

A

Anonymous

Reposted / "Moved" to the Computer Based Audio Forum.....

Please reply there :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts