Help Required ...New CD player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After many years of having my Hi-Fi packed in a box, getting by on just an AV system, I have finally got around to connecting it all up again.

My trusty NAD 3240PE (still in tip top condition) and was originally paired with a Philips CD610, a NAD 4020 tuner, Dual CS505 tunrtable along with Heybrook HB1 standmount speakers. The HB1's were replaced a few years ago by Heybrook Optima Floor
Standers, which still sound fabulous (to my ears anyhow!) and up until recently formed part of my AV setup. (now replaced with Quad Lite 5.1) Musically i like a bit of eveything, when originally choosing my HiFi,
i listened to many speaker brands, Rogers, Mission, Castle, Tannoy,
B&W but the pure warmth of the Heybrooks won out every time.

The transport on the CD610 has died and therefore the player needs replacing. I have setup the Turntable and 4020 tuner through the 3240PE, all using £40+ interconnects. My budget is upto £600, I need to purchase a new CD player and interconnects, from reviews i am interested in the Rega Apollo and the NAD C542. Obviously i need to think about the future, purely due to the age of my setup, the next upgrade is likely to be the Amp or Speakers, so whatever i choose now must also work well with future upgrades, maintaining the 'warm' sound but, in the meantime, i need a CD player, that will give me the best results with my current setup.

Advice on CD options greatly welcomed

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The Heybrook are something of a classic however the rest are not! I would split your budget in to £300 amp/£300 cdp.

As in what to buy at that price point I am sure someone else will properbly be better than me with suggestions but I will guess NAD 355BBE Amp/Denon DCD500AE Cd player should be a massive upgrade from what you are using at the moment.

A

Anonymous

For your budget of £600.00 (new), I think the Rega Apollo is your best choice. If however, you plan to buy used instead, then you have many choices - Arcam CD192, Cyrus CD8X, Musical Fidelity A5 etc.

T

the record spot

The NAD C542 will give you the full bodied sound you want; astonishingly good player - heaps of bass, not shy of a party and likely available on a good deal by now. Marantz SA7001 at £350 and their SA7001 KI at £600 (effectively a souped up version of the same). That might be ovekill with the 3240, although I recall this was a well regarded amp in its' day (15 years or so back?).

tough call; if you still like the sound of the amp and it's working well, then stick with it. Otherwise, Thaiman's suggestion is good - roughly equal split between the two components. Also consider the used market to get two better components for a good price.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i am still loving the sound of my old faithful 3240PE, although i agree the balance maybe thrown by such a well spec'd cd player as the Apollo.

I will be using my current Amp, so am i going to notice a vast difference between the C542 and the Apollo? the price seems to suggest so! when i finally get around to upgrading my Amp i guess i would be better with the Apollo as i guess a 'better' amp will show the differences is that correct or is the difference only audible with higher end speakers etc.

Any comments

T

the record spot

Not heard the Apollo, but it has many fans - you could run the two together, but that might be tricky now; dealers won't have too many of the NAD player knocking around unless you get one who carries both manufacturers. Worth looking around for one though. The 542 had a very good write up from WHF in it's day and it's still in production (I think), so at the original RRP, (£300 or £350) it was a good buy, if you can see it with £100 off, it has to be worth a listen.

The Marantz is a "sweet sounding" player by all accounts though and the Audiolab could be good too. Very tricky call at this price point!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts