Help - Rega Elciit R problem

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well I was playing some LPs last night, they seemed a little dull and I thought my cart could be on the way out but its only had 400 hrs on it (Nagaoka), been playing LPs tonight, the first was seemed ok but once I had gone through a few more they just seem to lack any sparkle - they sound very dull! I then tried some CDs, then the radio - everything seems dull, no mid range. Sometihng has definately changed as I know how this amp sounds - I am starting to get paranoid, am I going mad? Is it possible something in my amp is amiss?

Worried now! I know its under warranty but cant help thinking why it is sounding so crap

matthewpiano

Firstly, don't panic Steve. Either way you will get it sorted.

I would be inclined to switch off and have a listen again tomorrow to make sure it isn't a mood thing. I've had those moments where everything sounds rubbish and then, the next day, all has been well again.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
yeah Ive turned it off until tomo night, weird thing is it sounded dull last night and again tonight!

it sounds as there is no seperation - o god I hate things like this happening!

cheers

stevebrock said:
Well I was playing some LPs last night, they seemed a little dull and I thought my cart could be on the way out but its only had 400 hrs on it (Nagaoka), been playing LPs tonight, the first was seemed ok but once I had gone through a few more they just seem to lack any sparkle - they sound very dull! I then tried some CDs, then the radio - everything seems dull, no mid range. Sometihng has definately changed as I know how this amp sounds - I am starting to get paranoid, am I going mad? Is it possible something in my amp is amiss?

Worried now! I know its under warranty but cant help thinking why it is sounding so crap

Stupid question but... have you checked the speaker cables at both ends? Even if they seem connected dismantle and clean them.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:

Did you mean radio through the hi-fi or a seperate radio like a portable?

If it's only the hi-fi that sounds dull, then I would suspect a blown tweeter (sounds dull when you are nearer the affected speaker) or a tweeter with a 'dry' connection that sometimes sounds ok then doesn't.

Have a listen with your ear very close to each tweeter in turn. (Especially when the system starts sounding dull.) Are both tweeters working? (You can hold a piece of card or a book over the front of the mid/bass driver to make this a bit easier.)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well you need to work what the problem is first before blaming the amp. Have you got any headphones you can use? It could even be you? Check speakers cables are securely connected. As previous poster said it could be a tweeter although its fairly unlikely but worth checking. Try some mono recordings see how they sound.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
As previous poster said it could be a tweeter although its fairly unlikely but worth checking.

I bought some second-hand but otherwise mint condition JPW Sonatas from ebay a while back.

However, when first connected they sounded great where I sat (off-axis) but dull when I got up to walk past them. I listened to the tweeters and one wasn't working. Luckily MNIB tweeters for this model were still plentiful (and cheap) so I bought a new pair and had them soldered and fitted by my dealer for a small consideration.

I spoke to the vendor and he was blissfully unaware he'd been listening to only one operational tweeter. (I believed him because I have known friends who listened for weeks without realising the tweeter fuses had 'blown' in both of their old Mordaunt Shorts until I asked what was wrong with their system one day.)

It is also not unknown for a dry solder joint to occur on one of the tweeter connections and for the perceived dullness to come and go. I had this happen with my first pair of Rega R3s (around 6 years ago) that necessitated a trip to the same dealers to fix under warranty.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Update:

Think speakers are fine

I have dis-connected all speaker cables and connected back up again.

Noticed that if I lower the volume the SQ gets worse

I am taking it back into Cymbios on Friday to compare with there demo model :(

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
still sounds rubbish - no sounstage, no clarity something isnt right I know how this amp sounds

Is sketches of spain a mono recording? cant see it on the sleeve - playing it now on vinyl and it does not sound that great!

I am taking my amp into Cymbiosis and do an A/B with there demo unit!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
Is sketches of spain a mono recording? cant see it on the sleeve - playing it now on vinyl and it does not sound that great!

There's mono and stereo mixies Steve. My copy says stereo on the label.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
still sounds rubbish - no sounstage, no clarity something isnt right I know how this amp sounds

Well you can get in both I believe. Some say the mono version is the best. Not your usual music?

Sounds like its time for an upgrade :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Starting to think it could be my hearing!

Really. It could be I have some days when the system sounds a bit dull. Just played Sketches of Spain in stereo and mono and I prefer the stereo much more clarity, the mono to me sounds a bit dull and I prefer my jazz musicians to be spread out not on top of each other.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
No its not my hearing - just heard it get worse while I have been listening - maybe its a problem when it gets warm??

Not happy grrrrrr

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
No its not my hearing - just heard it get worse while I have been listening - maybe its a problem when it gets warm??

Not happy grrrrrr

Is the amp. getting very hot? Someone on here had that problem with his Elicit.

Anyway I'm sure you will get it fixed, you seem to have had a bit of trouble with your Rega gear?

stevebrock said:

You'll soon find out whether it's dodgy amp or iffy hearing.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

Not happy grrrrrr

Is the amp. getting very hot? Someone on here had that problem with his Elicit.

Anyway I'm sure you will get it fixed, you seem to have had a bit of trouble with your Rega gear?

It is by nature a warm amp, im not worried about it running warm, but maybe something is happening inside that isnt right when it gets warm.

yes i remember the other chap got his replace under warranty - i am gutted now, no music plus the worry that Cymbiosis say there is not a problem when clearly, to me, there is a problem

Rega isn't doing much with regards to PR. Wobbly platters and now (possibly) faulty amp...

Sooner or later you'll realise that you can only kick a dog in the gonads so many times before it turns around and bites your foot off.

Likewise with the Leema, if the headphone socket goes pete tong again, it'll be history.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
PP, yes Im not happy - £1600 on an amp, barely had it 4 months!

I just hope to god there is a fault, then it can be replace/repaired

Rega have one more chance!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Rega isn't doing much with regards to PR. Wobbly platters and now (possibly) faulty amp...

Sooner or later you'll realise that you can only kick a dog in the gonads so many times before it turns around and bites your foot off.

Likewise with the Leema, if the headphone socket goes pete tong again, it'll be history.

I agree, for me there is a big ?mark over their QC. Also I was not impressed with the build quality or the remote on the demo I had.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts