Help Recommend speakers for Pioneer SC-LX81

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I know Whathifi recommends the Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T, but what others are recommended/ work well with the Pioneer. I am not to concerned with the looks, but the performance is what I am after. I also don't mind spending more than the Tannoys but if you don't need to...
emotion-21.gif

Also I had an audition with the Tannoys on an Arcam amp and was disapointed ( They had no ump to them ). Could it have to do with the amp more than the speakers?

Thanks

Boca

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I too was disappointed in the Revolution Signatures (4 version) using an Arcam amp (fronts) and Denon AVR (rears). In the end, it is subjective so I would strongly suggest you demo with the Pioneer but canvassing online opinion might give you some pointers to start your search.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest you audition the MK M7 sub sat system , i have the SCLX71 (only because i have a smaller house and THX select is for my size room or i would have had and 81) imo they are fantastic with movies and surround source music like DTS and are excellent with 2 channel music. I will be sticking with MK in future this is my second set upgraded from K series and they do the business. If you have more funds you could go for the MK 750 THX or check out the new MK 950 THX package. Just an opinion based on practical daily use.ÿ

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply's

I have started to look at different speakers but I am finding it difficult to find some that really impress me. What do you look at to determin what is good quality/ will make good sound audition.

I guess I was thinking the arcam and the Tannoys are not the best match and maybe the pioneer will bring them to life. They don't carry Pioneer so it would be harder to compare. I never thought about MK but I will read up on them.

Any other suggestions ???B&W, JBL, etc... Give me help please.
emotion-1.gif

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi

I have the B&W FPM series and they work brilliantly with the pioneer sc-lx81 amp. I have two 6's on floor stands and one 5 as a centre on a customised optimum stand and two 4's on floor stand as rears. Its the best home cinema system I have personally heard.

These I would definetely recommend but they are pretty expensive so it depends on your budget.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Tannoys do work very well with the Pioneer SC amps , did you try the 4 or the 6's? If you are looking for a bigger sound you could do worse than try the Dali Ikon range. Plenty of punch from the Ikon 8's or 6's and a wide spread of sound too. Other alternatives would be the PMC GB1i or FB1i and the KEF XQ 30's .

Nick

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:

The Tannoys do work very well with the Pioneer SC amps , did you try the 4 or the 6's? If you are looking for a bigger sound you could do worse than try the Dali Ikon range. Plenty of punch from the Ikon 8's or 6's and a wide spread of sound too. Other alternatives would be the PMC GB1i or FB1i and the KEF XQ 30's .

Nick

Thanks I listened to the 6's and yes they seemed to lack punch. How do you tell if it is the speakers or the associated gear that make it sound off if you will...?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Without opening too large a can of worms the speaker tends to have more influence over the sound. Certainly you can normally exact bigger changes with speakers than amplifiers. The SC-LX81 is a great amp and for more punch it will marry perfectly with the Dali's.

If you were to change the Pioneer for an Onkyo you would get the punch with the Tannoys but in the trade off lose out on stereo performance and some refinement.

Nick

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Ok, thanks Nick

I think I understand what you are saying. I think I have to go and listen to some more speakers ( Dali's and the PMC's )

A

Anonymous

I heard B&W XT4's and XTC with the LX81. It persuaded me to buy the amp. They were simply awesome. The only drawback I felt with the XT4 was that they are quite tall and slender. I felt they could easily be toppled over by a small child. If that isnt a problem for you they are def worth a listen. Think they are now upgraded to XT8's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts