Help Please! - Speaker Upgrade

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi.

Thinking about upgrading from Q Acoustics 1010i speaker package (well, currently with Dynaudio 42s at front L / R, but that's a different story) to B&W 685 theatre (being powered by a Denon 2309).

1. Will i get enough benefit from the upgrade to warrant the outlay?

2. Is the "stock" 685 theatre package the one to go for? Any great need to specify different fronts / sub / centre?

Thanks in anticipation for any help.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Jammoe,

1) Yes, you will hear a significant improvement. A Denon AVR-2310 which can be had for under £500.00 now will bring even greater sonic benefits.

2) You might want to consider replacing the 'stock' ASW608 sub with the ASW610 sub instead. That's all you really need to do with the 685 Theatre system. It is a superb system for the money.

Ronald

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Yes you will get a big improvement between the 1010i and B&W 685, but if you just planning on replacing your rears then i won't bother.How are the Dynaudio 42's for fronts and what centre are you using. The stock 685 are a great all round package, but some like to upgrade the sub, and some members prefer to have floorstanders, so you could look at the 684's.

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
The Dynaudio 42s are incredible. And running the 2309 through them in direct mode is a fine substitute for a "proper" 2 channel system (to my ears at least).

I'm still using the 1010 centre and i can't notice any problems in the soundstage across the front three. I think they blend just fine.

But there's just a niggling doubt that B&W package will add a little cohesion (ie. i'm thinking that i just purely don't know what i'm missing).

In-home audition required!!

Also, i like the idea of floorstanders at the front, but they all seem to come up a little short (about 10cm too low for my current setup). And the lower driver of the right would not be far off firing directly in the arm of the sofa(!)

TRENDING THREADS