Help please ! Mordaunt-Short Avant i906

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
:help: :help: I am using Mordaunt-Short i906 in my room (small space), got it off closing own sales. Playing it using Marantz M-CR603 mainly for CD. The vocal seems too soft. I tried researching online if this is a right speaker for music, but got not much review. Quite disappointed. Any advice or help appreciated... :cry:

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
These are floorstanding speakers right? It seems a little odd to me that you're (a) driving a pair of floorstanders with a micro system and (b) doing it in a small space. I wouldn't expect the best possible results. Oh well...

I believe that these speakers are bi-wirable. Check that you've go the links in between the two sets of terminals. Check that you've got the phase correct - i.e. both speakers wired the same way - black to black and red to red.

Make sure you run in the speakers. Leave the on continuously for 24 hours if poss. Then re-assess.

Does this Marantz have captive speaker cable or can you replace it with something else? Is so you might want to try different speaker cable.

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
These are floorstanding speakers right? It seems a little odd to me that you're (a) driving a pair of floorstanders with a micro system and (b) doing it in a small space. I wouldn't expect the best possible results. Oh well...

I believe that these speakers are bi-wirable. Check that you've go the links in between the two sets of terminals. Check that you've got the phase correct - i.e. both speakers wired the same way - black to black and red to red.

Make sure you run in the speakers. Leave the on continuously for 24 hours if poss. Then re-assess.

Does this Marantz have captive speaker cable or can you replace it with something else? Is so you might want to try different speaker cable.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Agree with the above comments. This particular model was I think replaced by the well regarded Aviano 6, and the differences are likely to be small and mainly cosmetic. In other words, you should have a very good speaker, but perhaps not for a very small space. However, they are reasonably sensitive and so most amps should drive them without any problems at all.

Assuming you haven't bi-wired (there is no need in my opinion) are the solid metal links in place between both sets of terminals on each speaker? And as above advice, have you got your leads pluged into the correct terminals on each (if you are missing instructions you can download some generic from the MS website that are applicable to all their speakers). And while I'm not myself a huge fan of bi-wiring, you could do worse than replace the metal links with some 'jumper leads' (just diy them from short lenths of your existing speaker wire).

A

Anonymous

thanks. Yes, i use bi-wire as the one of the speaker copper link is missing when i bought the unit. I tired changing the speaker response setting on the CR603 to Response 4 - " Cut low frequncies 100Khz or under by -12 db/oct. Also raise 400hz region by 3dB". With this, the vocal seem clearer but still not that nice. Does this means that the speaker base is too heavy and interfer with the vocal?

I am also thinking of hooking up an amp to CR-603, but, seems like nobody hook an amp to this unit before and not sure if it will help.

A

Anonymous

I done the out of phase run in for 24 hours. It was quite unbearable before the run in. The cabling is replaceable. I go some cabling from the shop which the owner mention for hi-fi system. Is it very crucial i get a pair of good cabling? I am looking at "Audioquest 5' Single Rocket 33 SBW -PK/BFAS Bananas" but they are really expensive. 115 dollar for one.. is it worth the investment.
I done the out of phase run in for 24 hours. It was quite unbearable before the run in. The cabling is replaceable. I go some cabling from the shop which the owner mention for hi-fi system. Is it very crucial i get a pair of good cabling? I am looking at "Audioquest 5' Single Rocket 33 SBW -PK/BFAS Bananas" but they are really expensive. 115 dollar for one.. is it worth the investment.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
peter2loh said:
Yes, i use bi-wire as the one of the speaker copper link is missing when i bought the unit.

Try them without bi-wiring and see how that sounds. You don’t need the plate, just connect the posts using speaker wire.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I think you need to discount some possibilities before splashing out on any new kit. I'm not familiar with the Marantz unit you have but I know it is small (unlike the speakers!), so perhaps you could take that to a friend's house, or a friendly dealer, and test it on their speakers - that way you can check if it is a problem with your source rather than the speakers.

If the Marantz plays fine on other speakers then you need to look more closely at the speakers perhaps. Are your existing cable terminals good and tight with the cable, is there any possiblity of loose cross over wires inside the speaker that may have happened in transit (although both these things would likely affect only one rather than both of the speakers).

In terms of speaker cable what are you using now? Obviously thin 'bell wire' is a no no, but any reasonably sized (and cheap) copper based speaker cable is fine in terms of carrying the width of signal you need. Also, you don't need to spend a fortune on connectors and plugs, just use ones that fit snugly and have good contact with both the cable and the equipment, or use bare wire of course (being careful that none of it strays onto neighbouring terminals). Are the terminals (and plugs if used) on both the cable and equipment 'clean' - if either have become dulled by oxydisation then that will certainly have an impact on frequency response - trim back cable to 'clean' wire, and give the terminals a once over with something like Deoxit if they look a bit dull/dirty themselves.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Mr E was suitably impressed with these
Gb1i-300x300.jpg
in his review here.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/marantz-m-cr603-a-compact-solution-packed-with-performance These were £1,500 plus speakers at the time so I wouldn’t worry too much about the Marantz somehow not being “good” enough to drive your MS's. I used to have the Marantz myself and in a lot of ways I ended up preferring it to an all Rega set-up which I also had, but that’s another story.

I would try single wiring them as I suggested earlier and experimenting further with their positioning. If that doesn’t do the trick then perhaps they’re not for you, either through your personal tastes or just down to the fact that they may not be suitable for your listening environment.

Should that sadly be the case then follow Captain Duff’s sensible advice and take it out to listen to other options.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Duff, Ragworm and Sizzers for the advice. Looks like i should try playing with the cablng first. The Marantz CR-603 seems a decent unit as i saw quite a number of dealer use it for test unit. Sharing a picture of my current setup.
Thanks Duff, Ragworm and Sizzers for the advice. Looks like i should try playing with the cablng first. The Marantz CR-603 seems a decent unit as i saw quite a number of dealer use it for test unit.

Sharing a picture of my current setup.

2012-09-17%2012.54.04.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts