Help please choosing an external hard drive. thanks

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Morning,

I would like to buy an external hard drive, It must have 2TB of storage, it needs to be quiet and must not over heat. Is it possible to get one that is USB powered or does this limit my optiions? If I get a powered hard drive does it go on standby when not in use?

I need something reliable, fast, and black . I really don't know which brand if any to go for. I am happy to pay a premium for something good. There are so many out there I don't know really where to start.

Any help will be great fully received!

D

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
2TB drives are likely to be mains-powered via a plug-top adapter. I've always had good results using WD models: something from the Elements or MyBook ranges should do the job.

EDIT: jinx.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks to you both for the almost instant response. This WD looks just the ticket ..

D

John Duncan

Jinx indeed, but on further investigation (cf: actually reading) that has an AC adapter. I have a 250gig from the same range that I carry around in my bag with my backups on it which is USB-powered, but obviously that doesn't help...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ditto here: I have an old WD Passport 160GB which is still going strong, a newer 500GB Passport Essential, and a Toshiba 500GB, all of which are powered off the USB. But the bigger MyBook we have at home, and of course the MyBook World network drives – which are a mix of 1TB and 2TB – are all mains-powered.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys , not sure I understand the jinx reference, I guess if it powers down when not in use it really isn't an issue. D

sorry I do get it after all

A

Anonymous

Only my experience, but we went down the WD MyBook route at work originally and have had 4 (out of 10) fail on us within about 18 months. We have since switched to iomega and seagate, no troubles with either (and iomega prestige is very nicely built). My only caveat to that is the Iomega Prestige 2TB didn't work when attached to my Apple Time Capsule (apparently it still draws too much power from the USB, despite being mains powered). Both these go into standby when not in use so can be left on, and the seagate seems almost completely silent...

Hope that helps...

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Another vote for Seagate here. my FreeAgent GoFlex is black, quiet around the same price as the WD, but can be upgraded to Firewire 800/USB3 etc at a later date, making it just that little bit more flexible.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much guys for your posts. I have already taken JD and Andrews advice on the WD so hope it works out.

Many regard

A

Anonymous

+1 for the WD my book. i had a seagate 1tb hd before the WD and it broke within a couple of months for no reason whatsoever, i lost 750gb of music and film etc so vowed never to buy seagate again. The WD is still going strong and write-read speed is good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts