Help on amp & speaker choice required

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've recently purchased a media centre pc which I've connected to my lcd tv. I'm currently only using the tv speakers to play my cd's, dvd's and mp3 stuff on the media centre pc. I'm wanting to buy a set of speakers and an amp (presume i require one in addition to the pc) and was thinking about two wall mounted small speakers and a sub woofer near the amp and pc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether this is a good idea and any recommendations as to a set up I should go for? I've been looking at the Bose Acoustimass as the speakers are nice and small for wall mounting. I'm unsure on the amp. My budget would be about £500 in total or thereabouts. I dunno if this is realistic.. it's not that big a room and I'm not anal about the sound, I just want a decent quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers, Kev.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ideally you want an amp and a pair of standmount speakers on some stands, but if you want style speakers, there are some options there too. You've got loads of options for £500 (which will offer you better sound than the Bose system), but just to make sure we get this right, how are you currently hooking the PC to the TV?

A

Anonymous

I would like small wall mounted speakers, purely because there are connections already built into the wall at high level as left by the previous house owner, albeit I realise the standmount speakers would be a better option sound wise. I've got an HDMI cable between the TV and PC. Any ideas?

A

Anonymous

I've just looked at the back of the PC and TV for the connection... the connection in the back of the PC is the "VGA out" multi pin socket and the connection in the back of the TV is the "PC --> ..." multi pin socket. The connection is a cable with multi pin connector at each end, the cable being a low voltage computer cable. The guy in the shop sold it as an HDMI cable but having looked at the back of the pc I dont think that's the case as the HDMI socket seems to be more like a usb style socket. Sorry but I'm not really technically minded! Hope you can help!

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you have been sold a D-Sub 15 pin connector. This will not support HD...
CAB-VGA-VGA6.JPG
The HDMI is like a bigger USB slot, like you said.....
CC-HDMI.jpg
Also on your PC there may be a DVI connector which can be adapted to HDMI and looks like this....
DVI-FF-COUPLER.jpg
With regards to the pre-installed speaker wires in your home... do you know how professional the installation is? What I am getting to here is that you do not know the quality of the cables used and that a uniform length has been used, all of which will affect the quality of the final result. Style speakers like the Bose are ok, but if most of your listening is stereo, standmounts will sound far far better. Also, stop looking at Bose, if you spend the same money on a different brand you will get much more bang for your buck. If it was me, I would be looking at some bookshelf speakers like the Monitor Audio BR2, a good stereo amp like the Marantz PM6002 and the Beresford DAC to convert your digital music to analogue. [edited by: tom83cat at 11:11 AM (GMT 0) on Thu, May 29 2008]
Just so it is clear.... VGA or D-Sub 15 pin will not support HiDef. HDMI and DVI do support HiDef. HD televisions mainly use HDMI and HD graphics card mainly use DVI. To solve this poblem, there a lots of adaptors on the market which will change a DVI connector to a HDMI one to plug into a tv.

A

Anonymous

Thanks ever so much... very helpful.

Any other advice would obviously be welcomed.

A

Anonymous

You really need an external DAC to improve on the sound of the PC.
That's another box though, but thankfully there are active speakers out there with a DAC built in that sound superb.

A

Anonymous

Choices choices! Any suggestions on makes and models? Thanks for help!

A

Anonymous

Beresford DAC for about £100... can be found HERE Have you figured out what types of connectors you have on your PC? You will need some form of digital out to use the DAC, be it in the form of COAX, Toslink or normal optical connector.

A

Anonymous

I have a dvi/out on the rear.. is that what you mean? Can't see anything else.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, you can get a DVI to HDMI cable so you can output HD to your TV. It would be worth looking up what GFX card you have, just to see how good it is. As for the soundcard... do you know if there is a digital output on it? Should be a COAXIAL or an Optical which you could run direct to a suitable amplifier, or you could put it through a DAC which most people on these forums would recommend.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="kdingwall"]Choices choices! Any suggestions on makes and models? Thanks for help![/quote]

This:http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?c=so&U=Strat16&doy=search&Criteria=A56AKAnd this:http://www.avihifi.co.uk/avid/avid.htmlAnd this:http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=97886&doy=searchDarren

A

Anonymous

I think it is because he is using a VGA or D-Sub 15 pin connector like on older PC monitors

A

Anonymous

Ok, I'm on the verge of getting confused!

I just want to play by cd's, dvd's and mp3's through a set of speakers as opposed to through my TV.

My PC is connected to my TV using a VGA/D-Sub 15 pin connector as suggested.

I also have a DVI/Out socket at the rear of my PC and all manner of connectivity on my Sony Bravia LCD TV.

I kinda need an idiots guide to connecting and recommendations on speakers and essential accompanying hardware such as the Amp.

I'm also a little confused about the comments re. HD as I don't have any plans to subscribe to High Def TV at the mo.

Sorry to be so technophobic but that's why I asked for help in first place... I do appreciate all the advice!

Cheers, Kev.

A

Anonymous

I should say thanks Darren & Tomcat for the recommendations on equipment and thanks Professor for the advice so far!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No worries! Okay, I think we just need to determine what outputs your PC has. Does it have any of the following connections somewhere on it?

RCA phono output:
2535478637_71b4622da4.jpg

Digital optical:
2535478639_f8004af33b.jpg

Digital coaxial:
2535478641_74cefe2542.jpg

Mini-jack:
mini-audio-port.jpg

There should be at least one of these (possibly more) and from that, we can then decide the best way to go.

A

Anonymous

One would hope that a media center PC would have all of those, but it should at least have an optical, most newer sound cards do. With regards to HD.... you may not be wanting to subscribe to any HD providers, but you may want to watch BluRay (if your PC has that drive) or upscaled DVDs through your computer... in which case you should be using the better quality DVI as opposed to the VGA... your TV will thank you for feeding it with a better source. Personally, I would be thinking of going the route of an Amp and speakers rather than active speakers.... MA BR2 and Marantz PM6002 would be a good match and with a budget of £500, plenty left over for some QED Silver Anniversary speaker wire and a beresford DAC.

A

Anonymous

The mini jack connections are there... just like in the pic. There's not the coaxial or digital optical or RCA phono. There is a TV/out too which is like a round multi pin with a flat side to it.

A

Anonymous

Think I was sold a poor system then because it's only the mini jack connectors. I don't have any plans re BluRay or HD at the mo thanks. I'll use the DVI then. Thanks for equipment advice.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="kdingwall"]There is a TV/out too which is like a round multi pin with a flat side to it[/quote] That would be an S-Video.... DVI is still better. You could get and external USB DAC like the one shown HERE Then you wouldn't have to get the Beresford and you would have the RCA outputs to plug into the amp.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tom83cat"]Personally, I would be thinking of going the route of an Amp and speakers rather than active speakers.... MA BR2 and Marantz PM6002 would be a good match and with a budget of £500, plenty left over for some QED Silver Anniversary speaker wire and a beresford DAC.[/quote]

I completely disagree. Once he's spending at this level he may as well stretch to the AVI ADM9. There is a version with a USB input if that helps. They would walk all over the 6002 with BR2s - they're a different league as well as benig a much neater solution.The PS3 may have been a better media centre idea too...

A

Anonymous

Darren.. they cost £1000.. where did I say I was gonna double my budget!! I'm wishing to spend £500. As lovely as they look!

A

Anonymous

Hmmmm.... £1000 for some active speakers..... I am sure they sound good, but I am somewhat sceptical. Also, I fail to see the point of recommending something which is twice the budget stated by the OP. And there is no point telling the guy he should have bought a PS3, he can hardly take the PC back can he? We are all simply trying to help him make the best of what he has with the budget he has.... now, have you got any sensible suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Kdingwall.... you have heard my suggestions, and that is honestly what I would do if I was in your position. It would be worthwhile waiting for ProfHat to post something else on here.... we both tend to follow the same sort of threads, but I think he has a bit more experience than me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts