[Help] - New Micro System!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello sound gurus,

I want to buy a new micro hifi system and I don't know wich one to buy...
  • Onkyo CS-515UK
  • Yamaha E700
Can you please guide me trough this?

Thanks in advance,

Adelmo

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well, the Onkyo CS-515 has just been replaced by the CS-525 - we'll be publishing a First Test in our October issue, on sale August 21st. We've also just tested the new Denon D-M37, which is excellent, and we'll be running a micro system Group Test in our November issue when the Onkyo CS-525 and Denon D-M37 go head to head. You might want to wait for that!

A

Anonymous

I have the very same dilema - which microsystem delivers the best sound? I've read the Denon D-M37 review with great interest and wonder how the new Onkyo CS-525 will face this challenge.

However, I'm thinking of one more option - MARANTZ CR401 combined with a pair of decent speakers. It would be for sure more expensive but might be worth it.

Does anyone have experience with Maratz CR401 or can tell whether the higher price would be worth improvement in sound quality?

Would be grateful for any help.

VH

A

Anonymous

I'm looking for one too. The Denon D-M37 sounds really good, has good connectivity as well. But the best one to get, I think, is the Arcam Solo Mini. Sounds truly incredible. Thats what I'm saving up for. At £650 its not cheap. Although I've found a shop in Shrewsbury that will do it for £575. You can get better prices for Onkyo on ebay, they have the 515, 315, 715 on there.

Good luck with your research, I'm going to raid my piggy bank.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

I just picked up one micro system - Onkyo 715 with Elac 133 speakers for 750 euros. Quite good to my ears. Priced a bit on the high side though but I guess I should still be happy :)

I went out to buy Denon M37 based on excellent review on this website but was torn between Denon M37 and Yamaha E320. I wanted a one box solution and was not very impressed with Onkyo 325 and 525. Yamaha was a bit more silkier in treble and everything sounded so effortless. Denon comparatively was a bit tight. The high frequency sound were not that clear as was Yamaha. I dont know how else to define Denon sound. However I was still veering towards Denon when I was shown Onkyo 715 with the Elac. Yet more effortless than Yamaha and tight bass. I listened to Denon and Yamaha for good 2-3 hrs. Same few songs again and again. And it took me 5-10 mins to close in on Onkyo 715. It was that good. However be warned the speakers that come with it aint that good. So loookout for Onkyo 715 with some decent speakers and I can assure you will like it.

cheers,

Neeraj

A

Anonymous

Onkyo 525 gets my vote - surprisingly good, very enjoyable. I paid extra for better speakers and don't regret it. Good FM / OK DAB (dab sucks a bit anyway), good CD player. For me its a tight call between this or £300 quids worth of separates. I don't imagine you'd get the radio for that either. Good second or student flat system, or fine choice on a tight budget. I'm generally sceptical but this has impressed me. I haven't heard the Arcam but I'd be pushed to spend £600 plus on any integrated system, unless space was my primary consideration. Just IMHO.

A

Anonymous

Hello again,

Well I live in Portugal and last weekend I tested the Yamaha E700 and I like it very much.

I also tested the Cambridge Audio Azur 340se with a Monitor Audio RS1 without subwoofer... and I can say thats amazing... but its more expensive than the Yamaha...

I'm going to the store again this weekend and test the Onkyo.

I don't realy know wich type of music should I listen to do the test??? In the Yamaha and Cambridge Audio I tested with U2 - 18 Singles because its my favourite band...
emotion-2.gif

For me the Onkyo gets an advantage because of the connection with the iPod... I'm not sure if the Yamaha have that connection...

Thanks for your replies.

Adelmo

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:Well, the Onkyo CS-515 has just been replaced by the CS-525 - we'll be publishing a First Test in our October issue, on sale August 21st. We've also just tested the new Denon D-M37, which is excellent, and we'll be running a micro system Group Test in our November issue when the Onkyo CS-525 and Denon D-M37 go head to head. You might want to wait for that!

Hi Andy (if you're still looking at this post)

What would be really, really useful in your November Group Test would be some observations about the relative merits of the micros vs similar budget separates systems - e.g. how do they stand up against the NAD C515BEE & C315BEE with Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs (currently available at £349.95 - i.e. only £50 more than the Denon M37, including the excellent speakers).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts