Help needed urgently. Teac lp-p1000

Hi, i'm new to this forum and have set up an account to mainly find help with the record player i got for my 18th birthday. My mum got me the Teac lp-p1000 which is a hifi unit with external speakers. However, after much research i'm beginning to question whether it was the right decision and am worried that it might be damaging my records. Basically the tone arm has no counterweight which is a cause for concern and after much research the tracking weight for my cartridge is supposed to be 3-5 grams. Will the lack of counterweight and tracking weight be cutting grooves into my record or damaging it in any way? The unit does have external speakers and i don't play at too high volumes so there is no vibration or skipping of the records which is a plus. But if anyone knows anything about this particular unit and whether it is good/bad to vinyls i would really appreciate the help. The internet seems to have no information on this particular unit. I need to know whether to try and send it back or buy a new one asap pleaseThanks

Hi, Thomas, and welcome.

If I've found the correct item, it isn't strictly a turntable but a complete audio system, including a record player. A turntable is usually just the playing bit, which connects to a separate amplifier, and then into separate speakers.

It is quite likely the tracking is factory set, by spring, rather than using an obvious weight. I can't actually see from the pics I've found. However, check what the instruction manual says. It is likely no adjustment is possible. That's what makes it easy to use straight from the box.

As to wear, there are potentially two snags. One, the stylus may be only moderate quality, and the tracking weight on the high side as you state. Two, this type of player will not be able to track the loudest passages very well, meaning you hear distortion and the record suffers excess wear. If you are keen on getting best results from vinyl you probably need to spend around £400 or £500 as a minimum.

A Richer Sounds visit will be an easy place to begin, assuming you are in Britain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts