Help needed setting up a cartridge on a turntable (Grado Gold to RB250 modded)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently purchased on OL modded arm to place on my Technics
1210 turntable, however I'm having some problems setting up the cart -
previously I used DJ cart on the TT and as long as the card didn't just
I didn't really worry too much, nut obviously I want to set it up
properly this time. I have read the OL instructions, however they
don't make a great deal of sense to me.

http://www.tonearm.co.uk/tonearm_installation_instructions.pdf

Firstly what way should the vta adjuster be attached? Is it at per the picture here?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Origin-Live-Rega-RB-250-300-600-VTA-Adjuster_W0QQitemZ250330236556QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTurntable_Parts_Accessories?hash=item250330236556&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

OL stage "recess on the top side." which to me would say as
per the pic, however they also say it should only add "1.5mm to the
height of the arm." which would only be possible fitting it the
opposite way.

I also don't know how to adjust the height for
the vta, should I just line it up so that the tip of the stylus is
level with the flat record? and do I do this with the counterbalance on
or off at this stage. OL state the vta should be set so "the TOP edge
of the arm is parallel with the surface of a FLAT record", again this
doesn't make sense to me as what are they classing as the top of the
arm - the arm is at different heights dependent on where you are
looking.

Also what angle should the cart be positioned on the
head shell and how much over hang should there be? I'm using a grado
gold and the arm is a modded Rega RB250.

I've be very greatful if anyone can help as this is causing me major problems at the moment!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello, can you post some pics of the arm on the TT or are you saying the arm needs setting up as well as the cartridge. The instructions on the Origin Live site are pretty good so without seeing some pictures it's hard to gauge exactly what your after. You could look on the vinyl engine site and look up how to set up rega arms which is very easy to understand and comprehensive. One last point, i take it you have the proper mounting plate for the OL arm.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Arm mounting distance (centre of arm pivot point to centre spindle) is 215mm for a standard Technics SL1210 with it's own arm. Check whether this is so on yours. Rega arms normally have a mounting distance of 222mm.

Align according to whether the arm mounting distance (with your OL mounting plate and Rega sourced arm) is 222mm or 215mm.

Here are all the possible choices of Arc Protractor you can print off (for free)...

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

Stevenson (for Rega) alignment is normally the correct one but check. (There are Baerwald alternatives for both).

When printing the relevant Arc proctractor make sure you don't 'constrain' the dimensions in the printing parameters. (There are reference lines on the print you can measure to ensure it is the correct dimensions.) Cut out the centre hole with a scalpel or with a pin.

The arm should be parallel with the record platter if the vertical height is correct. Because the Rega arm tapers then this is a bit of a judgement call because the under surface will slope up a little towards the headshell and the upper surface will slope down. Don't obsess too much over this. If it looks about right then it probably is right.

The little lever raised platform that you use to cue in the arm may be out after your adjustments of height so you will need a 1.27mm allen key. They are available on ebay for a quid or so.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, the arm can only be mounted in one place so I think I must have that correct, it was the actual hight of the arm I was concerned about. So looking at the pic below are you saying the arm should be parallel all the way across (as per the red line). I currently have it sloped so that the stylus is running level with the platter

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2885/sidepic1xb7.jpg

my.php

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If there is any slight VTA error it is usually best to err the other way (arm sloping down slightly from headshell to bearing) so in your case I would drop the arm a tad. (Red line centred along arm length.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
monsieur:Thanks, the arm can only be mounted in one place so I think I must have that correct

Yes it will be correct of course, but it is still important to know what 'correct' is for the purpose of alignment.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Monsieur, I recently upgraded from an Origin Live Silver tonearm.

The VTA adjuster should be installed with the serrated edge down as i the photo. I had the Michell VTA adjuster and Finger lock nut. I think the Michell VTA adjuster is better than the OL one and the Michell finger lock nut is much better than the original serrated nut.

Anyway, with regard to the VTA, the arm should be horizontal with the arm lowered onto a record as it would when its playing. From there it should be fine tuned by ear.

I hope this helps.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
As long as you have the mounting distance right as chebby mentions, all looks ok, you can raise the height of the arm using 2 or 4 mm shims under the base of the arm but rega seem to eschew the relative merits of vta preferring a rigid base for the tonearm to perform properly. As long as the cartridge body does not touch the record playing surface you should have no problems mounting the cartridge. Grado's perform well at about 1.7gms with bias set by ear. Start at zero and dial in small amounts of bias until you find the sweet spot of course level the arm at zero so it's floating about 1mm above the platter, some use a record on the platter to avoid snagging the stylus then when it's floating with no inward or outward movement dial in the required pressure. 1/2 a turn equals 1gm so with that arm a pressure gauge is a good idea but 2 turns and back a bit with give you a ball park figure. Chebby and myself both have p2's i use the method above as i have yet to get some scales( xmas present from the wife methinks) but i believe chebby used scales on his set up so he should be along in a while to chastise me for not using scales but we are very happy with our TT'S. I hope this helps.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Regarding bias (anti-skate).

Rega arms generally have very agressive bias so do not be surpised if the best setting is well under the figure it should be.

I am tracking my cartridge at 1.8gms but the bias is set on 1

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help everyone, it seems that the vta adjuster isn't really needed with the 1210 as the arm runs pretty much level by default. £20+ for a little price of metal and it wasn't necessary anyway!

I haven't got a stylus force guage at the moment so I'm not completely sure if I have the weight correct so I've had to do it be ear but it seems ok. Not completely confident I've got the optimum settings yet though.

John Duncan

chebby:Regarding bias (anti-skate).

Rega arms generally have very agressive bias so do not be surpised if the best setting is well under the figure it should be.

I am tracking my cartridge at 1.8gms but the bias is set on 1

Agreed - I found mine worked best turned off, bizarrely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts