Help needed for a new AV receiver

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I am looking to get a new Av receiver to fill a dual role. It's probably safe to say that I am more interested in music than movies if this changes anything.

The player is an OPPO 981 HD

The speakers are B&W DM603s (Front), 601s (surround) to be added later.

The OPPO can output DSD over its HDMI connection, so I would like an amp that can make the most of this feature. My initial thoughts were the Onkyo 875/6 for around £550. I am not adverse to buying second hand, if that's where recommendations take me.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for the recommendation. From what I hear, I will also be able to turn down the heating a notch or two in the listening room. Is this anything to be concerned about?

A

Anonymous

read trevor79 posts about the onkyo 875/876, very interesting reading, i bought a 876 after auditioning it against a used arcam 350, new yamahas 1900 and 3900, marantz 6003 and 8002, the onkyo held its own more or less on music ( giving away a little to the arcam ) but bettered them all with movies, ( jurassic park on dvd with plain 5.1 was truly high end fun, thru a b&w spkr package and yamaha 2700 dvd player ) the onkyo does run warm but so will the majority of amps in its performance bracket, i use it all day and the cooling fans never kick in, so in real terms not of great concern.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Ok. Many thanks for all that. I wasn't aware that cooling fans were even fitted.

emotion-43.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Overdose:Is this anything to be concerned about?

Nope. As long as you leave adequate ventilation around and especially above the Onk you shouldn't have any issues.

I can vouch for the 875 being a blast with movies too.
emotion-21.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew,

Have you ever had a "Bitstream Bomb"?, What's it like?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts