Help needed! Denon 1909 or Yamaha 763

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Looking to get a reciever to replace my old integrated amp. Not really fussed about using it with my integrated so the pre outs dont bother me. My choices were the onkyo 606, yamaha 763, denon 1909 and possibly the sony 2400. Having read all the onkyo over heating issues and that it isnt the best with music I have decided to remove this from my list.

The main 2 im interested in is the denon 1909 and the yamaha 763. I know the yamaha does not have a tuner but I have a seperate DAB so thats not an issue but I will probably be using it for 60% CD playback and would like to know which of the 2 is better for that?

They will be partnered with the Q acoustics 1050i/1010i/1000c and the MS309 sub. I personally think the Q acoustics are a little bright sounding so I would prefer a reciever that doesnt add to this. I hate it when the treble starts to get uncomfortable and you end up constantly turning the volume down!

I have heard mixed reviews from dealers some saying the yamaha sounds bright and some saying its the denon, I could possibly stretch to the sony 2400 but again in the what hifi review the sony is said to be a little on the bright side!

Any advice is appreciated.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Can't comment on the Denon as I've not heard it, but I've just bought a 763 and can't believe how good it is for the money.

Only you can decide by giving them a listen but the 763 is very good.

My opinion of course.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply andy. How do you compare the sound of this to a dedicated stereo amplifier? also do you feel the yamaha has enough powers?

A

Anonymous

This is all very confusing and what doesnt help is that every dealer I have called has a different opinion. Some will say the denon sounds bright others will say its the yamaha and many have mentioned the onkyo 606 runs very cool!

A

Anonymous

WHF group test favoured the Yamaha 763 and 863. I know how confusing this can be as everyone seems to have a different opinion and if you're not an expert, it is just so hard to compare the different receivers. So, it all depends on who you want to believe... personally, I think the WHF recommendations have been pretty spot on.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply, I would be happy buying either of these but just want to be sure they have enough power to happily drive the speakers.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The reason you get different replies from different people is because everyone has different tastes (of course I am assuming no dealers who have advised you would not be unscrupulous enough to try and sell you the one they make the most margin on...).
Are you able to go listen to them yourself, preferably with the speaker package you have? Some dealers will offer a home trial so it's worth asking.

A

Anonymous

The only problem is with the home trial is that it can take quite a long time before the setup can be done and then the settings adjusted over and over again to get them right. I think I will go with the Yamaha and if the sound is too bright I will switch it with the Denon. Suddenly I realise the simplicity of a stereo integrated amplifier!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts