Help!!! Musical fidelity to Marantz

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently upgraded (???) my hifi system, I bought my old system almost 20 years ago, Musical Fidelity e10 amp, Marantz cd player and a pair of BW 601 this system has served me very well and recently for some strange reason I wanted to upgrade my system. Having read all the good reviews about the Marantz pm 6004 and cd6004 I decided to go for the pair. I hooked them up with my old BW speakers and straight away felt a bit disappointed with the overall sound, I was obviously expecting better sound from the new amplifier but on the contrary the sound I was getting was not even as good as my old MF E10 , so just to get a comparison I connected my old amp with the new cd player played a few tracks and came to the conclusion that on MF the sound is a lot sweeter, sounds from individual instruments are better separated and overall reproduction is a lot more musical.

Two questions :

Am I not getting the best out of Marantz because my speakers are old or is my 20 years old MF is a better a amp?

What would be an idea amp to replace my old amp, if after changing the speakers, Marantz 's doesn't improve?

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I think you made an upgrade without demo as many options as you can and jumped to the Marnatz too quickly .

the Marantz pair seems like a good option for their price but not good enough and if you search more seriuosly you might go to a conclusion

that there are much better options than this pair in the market :wall:

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Not familiar with your amp but your description suggests that your MF amp is much the better for you personally and that is whats counts. It may simply be that you do not like the Marantz amp ( i didn't take to it). You already know the speakers deliver with old amp so they are fine and were always well regarded

Looks like the Marantz amp is not the right choice for you and changing speakers may never give a satisfactory result. (been there already) .

Don't think age is a real factor in performance terms if they are working fine.

If you wish to change probably better to change amplifier and speakers together but it may not offer any better quality or performance.

If you don't demo then any changes will be hit and miss. Sounds as though have got a pretty good system already. If you are looking at a budget amplifier I think you may struggle to replace MF amp.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello

My question 'why do you feel the need to upgrade suddenly?)

Wich way to go for an upgrade is really personal. I don't know your amp but knowing a fiew MF products I was always impressed by the price/performance value of theme.

I had the chance to demo products in every range.

So IMO it's not imposible to replace it for a good price but it will require a lot of demo's an patience.

+ you have the factor that you are used to your amp an that by that you also know how you want your music to sound.

sorry provably not a big help....but I think yout MF amp is better yhan the Marantz

grtz

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
jonomd said:
Not familiar with your amp but your description suggests that your MF amp is much the better for you personally and that is whats counts. It may simply be that you do not like the Marantz amp ( i didn't take to it). You already know the speakers deliver with old amp so they are fine and were always well regarded

Looks like the Marantz amp is not the right choice for you and changing speakers may never give a satisfactory result. (been there already) .

Don't think age is a real factor in performance terms if they are working fine.

If you wish to change probably better to change amplifier and speakers together but it may not offer any better quality or performance.

If you don't demo then any changes will be hit and miss. Sounds as though have got a pretty good system already. If you are looking at a budget amplifier I think you may struggle to replace MF amp.

i agree the MF E10 seems better than the MARNATZ , If I had a limited budget I should look for second hand good amp or keep the E10

till I can afford to buy a new better one .

A

Anonymous

You are absolutely right, I jumped to it too quickly and now I am stuck with an extra amp, I have put it back in the box.

I will have to look into richer sounds return policy. It hasn't been a week yet I bought it

Thanks forvyou reply

A

Anonymous

Thanks for you reply.

I don't know I felt the need to upgrade its just a man thing I suppose

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
aniskg said:
Thanks for you reply.

I don't know I felt the need to upgrade its just a man thing I suppose

It's ok, we've all been there and done the same, I'm sure. Anyway, 20 years with the same system is long enough so you were due an upgrade.

A

Anonymous

Good news guys, having read all you post I decided to give richer sound a call to ask about their returpolicy. They said as long as I got all the packaging and everything it came with they will give full refund so off I went and got the full refund. Kept the cd player, I think Marantz make better cd player than amp.

Now I have to save a grand for a new amp

Merry Christmas everyone

A

Anonymous

I've had quite a few Marantz products over the years. Their amps take careful partnering, but the CD players are much more forgiving.

At the moment I have a system in the dining room which utilises the PM6004 with an SA7001 CD player. I added Chord Chameleon interconnects and the sound is very satisfying and balanced enough to enjoy through MS 902i's.

Years ago I partnered by SA8400 with a PM17 MK II KI and it lost a lot of clarity in favour of tighter bass. I didn't like it, so I ended up using the amp with a cheaper Cambridge Audio CD player upstairs and they worked great together. The SA8400 ended up with a Yamaha receiver and they're ideal, if a little bass shy.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
aniskg said:
You are absolutely right, I jumped to it too quickly and now I am stuck with an extra amp, I have put it back in the box.

I will have to look into richer sounds return policy. It hasn't been a week yet I bought it

Thanks forvyou reply

[/quote

Hi

It's OK I made the same mistakes in the past and my new policiy is :

1. If you don't have the budget wait till you can afford to buy what you want and don't compromise for other cheaper option .

2. Demo as many options as you can before you decide what is the best choice for you ( you can ask my poor dealer for the endless demo's

I made ... )

3. Make your own decision based on your own taste and preference and not upon other recommendations or pubilcation/experts reviews .

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
Hi

It's OK I made the same mistakes in the past and my new policiy is :

1. If you don't have the budget wait till you can afford to buy what you want and don't compromise for other cheaper option .

2. Demo as many options as you can before you decide what is the best choice for you ( you can ask my poor dealer for the endless demo's

I made ... )

3. Make your own decision based on your own taste and preference and not upon other recommendations or pubilcation/experts reviews .

Absolutly :cheers:

(on the other hand if everybody does that we can provably close the forum :? )

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi Roby ,

Don't get me wrong it is very important to read the expert reviews and to ask others for their opinions in this forum and I do that ,

however the final decision will be always on my own taste and preference based on many demo's .

TRENDING THREADS