Help me with a DAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I need some help choosing my new DAC for my headphones rig

I'm currently using a Sonos Zone Player (wired to the router), feeding a Valab NOS dac and my Woo 3 tube amp. My headphones are the HD650.

I listen only to classical music, and while I really really love the signature of the Valab with small ensemble (string quartets, piano trio and chamber music in general) I can't stand it for complex symphonic music. Listening to Mahler's symphony or Rachmaninoff concertos is quite a pain: distortion and congested soundstage are pretty evident.

I've tried several dacs, but I've never been completely happy: the Dacmagic was way too bright, the Benchmark sterile...I've been using for 5 months a Audio-GD Ref.5 and that was quite good, though dynamics weren't top notch.

Any recommendation? Budget is below £1000

Thanks!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
realmassy:

Hi all,

I'm currently using a Sonos Zone Player (wired to the router), feeding a Valab NOS dac and my Woo 3 tube amp. My headphones are the HD650.

I listen only to classical music, and while I really really love the signature of the Valab with small ensemble (string quartets, piano trio and chamber music in general) I can't stand it for complex symphonic music. Listening to Mahler's symphony or Rachmaninoff concertos is quite a pain: distortion and congested soundstage are pretty evident.

I've tried several dacs, but I've never been completely happy: the Dacmagic was way too bright, the Benchmark sterile...I've been using for 5 months a Audio-GD Ref.5 and that was quite good, though dynamics weren't top notch.

Thanks!

Dacmagic bright? Benchmark, sterile? You are hard to please!

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Dacmagic bright? Benchmark, sterile? You are hard to please!

I had to return the Dacmagic to Richersounds after two days, I really didn't like it.

Lavry is an alternative: it would be nice to get a 30-day s trial. I may have a look.

What about the new M1? I used to own a V-DAC, I thought was good, but the rest of the rig was different.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
How about the recent offerings from Chord?

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products_cat.asp?cat=16

silver5stackBLK.jpg

Grace Design m902?

m902_main.jpg

Also, if you are tired of distorsion and orchestral instruments lumping together you may want to try active speakers.

realmassy:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Hi realmassy

Have a look at the new Chord Electronics Chordette Peach DAC.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

AlmaataKZ:
Also, if you are tired of distorsion and orchestral instruments lumping together you may want to try active speakers.

I only listen through headphones so speakers are not an option :-(

By the way, that rack is very nice!

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've found Musical Fidelity's M1 is a decent upgrade from the DacMagic. The sound is warmer, sweeter, a bit more detailed and for me this is important - the background silence is...well, quieter, if you know what I mean.

I haven't had any experience with other DACs though so I guess the advice as always is to audition yourself. Good luck!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
refined? good soundstage, detail and separation? Sounds like you could the reviews of the rDac. I'm pretty keen to give it a go myself, but I think I'll wait until he wireless version is available.

I suppose pursuing the Chord line, there is the Toucan, but you're probably not interested in that as you already have a headphone amp.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

To be honest, my first reaction is with distortion: are you sure that the problem is with the DAC? Is the amp + tubes still 100% ok? I also listen to big orchestra / opera. No longer with cans as one channel of my Sennh 540 reference sadly died recently (anyone with a half one to spare?). Indeed not all experiences are pleasurable, but the first thing to blame is often the recording. But some sound very good even though I never had the quality of your gear.

A

Anonymous

Pete10:
Hi,

To be honest, my first reaction is with distortion: are you sure that the problem is with the DAC? Is the amp + tubes still 100% ok? I also listen to big orchestra / opera. No longer with cans as one channel of my Sennh 540 reference sadly died recently (anyone with a half one to spare?). Indeed not all experiences are pleasurable, but the first thing to blame is often the recording. But some sound very good even though I never had the quality of your gear.

That's a good pint. Obviously distortion is there in some old recordings: I have many EMI classic recordings from 50 and 60, and some of them are poorly recorded but truly exceptional from the artistic point of view.

The Woo amp is fine, I'm rolling different tubes and distortion is more evident with some of them.

Also I never experienced this kind of problem with the Audio-GD Reference 5.

A

Anonymous

ID.:
refined? good soundstage, detail and separation? Sounds like you could the reviews of the rDac. I'm pretty keen to give it a go myself, but I think I'll wait until he wireless version is available.

I suppose pursuing the Chord line, there is the Toucan, but you're probably not interested in that as you already have a headphone amp.

The rDac is on my short list, as well as the M1.

I think I can get a demo from Superfi, but I definitely need to listen to them with my tube amp. Any 30 days trial on the M1? it's £359 from Lintone Audio, at that price should be a no-brainer...

A

Anonymous

Hi realmassy,

I work for Bigger Boat Distribution which represents Lavry Engineering in the UK & Ireland and I'd be happy to arrange a trial of a DA10 or a DA11 for you.

Let me know if I can give you more information or be of any help,

Oliver

Bigger Boat Distribution

01992 878678

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts