Help me please - Subwoofer decision- Thank you :)

domswhathifi

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I have a pair of b&w M1 satellite speakers and would like to purchase a subwoofer to go with them.

I have a small budget of only £150 but I will stretch to £180. Yes I understand I cannot get a proper subwoofer for that price, but after hours of searching, I've finally found 3 which look good. Please could you guys help me/guide me as to which is the best.

Thanks!! :)

The 3 are:

Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Q Acoustics Q7000S
Audica CX-SUB

Thanks for the help in advance

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I know people get this yurnung for a sub but can't really afford one, know they can't get a proper sub but let their want cloud judgment and ignore advice for a farting box that has weak flabby bass, perhaps satisfies a curiosity but doesn't do the job and ultimately detracts from the quality of the sound.

I know now you don't want to hear it but this scenario crops up time and time again. Bk elec make some of the best value subs, do yourself a favour and save up fur their entry model the Gemini at around £215 and while it won't dig as deep as most you will get tight, tuneful bass that will enhance your experience.

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
The SW150 isn't that bad to be honest and within its limits sounds fine.

You will get port noise before running out of xmax/power.

Personally I'd take a sw150 over a gemini. Gemini is probably better for music, the sw150 will be more powerful though/play deeper so better for movies and "feeling like you have a sub"

The BK XLS 200 and up are great subs, I made a DIY version of the XLS 200 for my parents last christmas.

Honestly though I'd go second hand.

These could be worth a punt:

On ebay there's a B&W AS2 and a MS 409.

REL is good, you will get a wharfedale sw300 for under 200 second hand. Check gumtree.

domswhathifi

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

thank you all for the comments.

I have looked on ebay every day for the last few weeks, and no good subs are listed on there. I've had a look for the ones you've mentioned and they don't have any on ebay.

The BK Gemini looks pretty good, but it only got a 4 star review as opposed to the 5 star for the sw150 - This doesn't matter though, I will still think about it :)

This sub is for use in my bedroom, so I don't need it to rock the house, I have a kef htb2se sub downstairs for that! :grin:

Its just to fill in the lower frequencies which the M1's can't play. The sub is mainly going to be used with music.

Just in regards to the Q acoustics 7000s sub, what do you guys think of it?

thanks again

Magic 99

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Just a thought, but if it is for a bedroom, ie upstairs, wouldn't a front firing sub be the optimum? The thought of firing 150 watts downwards might not suit some, such as those downstairs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts