Help me find a N router or gigabit?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey

I have no idea what I am looking for, but I am trying to get myself from 10/100 to gigabit, and would like a better router.

I have a cheap sky one, and they have given me permsion to get another 3rd party router, but i have no idea what I need,.

I just bought a gigabit pci card for my pc, and getting a 8 port gigabit switch, now just want a better router.

I also need it as laptop keep dropping if you take it upstairs.

I dont have a lot of money so cheaper the butter

Thanks

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Why do you want a better router? Why not got with a gigabit switch that then plugs into your router.

EDIT: seen that you are getting the swtich anyway - so what's the point of the router

A

Anonymous

I didnt think the sky router was that good, and because it drops signal on my laptop if I go upstairs.

But my laptop is G only as well, so I was going to put a N card in the Laptop, if I can as they seem quite cheap.

Buying the switch as might be building a HTPC or getting a gigabit streamer when ac ryan release their fluxx in march

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Ok so you are just after a better wireless connection? You could choose to replace your router with a new one or purchase a separate wireless access point.

scene

Actually, Wireless N may not improve the situation with your laptop upstairs. The drop off for A/N is faster than for B/G, and you may actually get a worse signal upstairs. You may want to look to get a gigabit non-wifi router and plug your gigibit switch into this. Then plug a wifi router - you might be able to use your existing one - in a more central location in the house, to maximise coverage...

A

Anonymous

Oh so put my sky router upstairs and have the non wifi attached to the Hifi and media area downstairs?

Can I have 2 routers in one house on the same address?

Thanks, sorry not very up with these things

scene

canada16:
Oh so put my sky router upstairs and have the non wifi attached to the Hifi and media area downstairs?

That is a possibility - assuming your sky router has an input port (sorry, I#m being thick here - but some ADSL style routers, have a USB in and then only WiFi / RJ45 (wired) out ports - it depends on model.

Can I have 2 routers in one house on the same address?

No. If you want two routers, they either have to have different names - which means they will interfere, or you have to have one(s) that can act as repeaters, in which case they will enhance your reception.

Thanks, sorry not very up with these things

Don't worry - I have the same problem - I've had to look into all this stuff, and found out some of it the hard (read expensive) way...

A

Anonymous

Well got me a pci gigabit card for my pc and scored a new belkin 8 port gigabit switch from ebay for 16.00, but thats because I had 9.00 in ebay points, quite good really considering they are 25.00 and selling for 50.00 + elsewere, and they had tons.

Now just need to get a media streamer or htpc thats gigabit as well

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Hey Canada have you looked at broadband by mains?? I too have Sky Broadband and the signal through the house is very poor(old cottage thick walls and a long distance between amp/xbox/sitting room and where the sky broadband box is. I simply went to Pc World and bought a Devolo broadband by mains kit and a belkin N router. 1 plugs into the sky broadband box sending the signal by mains to the other plug which is in my sitting room behind the kit rack and plugged into my N router. Which is plugged into my amp and means the xbox and laptops all work over the wifi! Thinking about getting an additional plug for the study for the Windows pc too. They are good and are no problem to move about the house if you wish to say surf in the kitchen etc. I think the N Router (with N Dongle) and the bbm kit came in at a little over £100!!

A

Anonymous

Hey

Are you talking about homeplugs?

I had those but they are wired, I need to sort my wires out, so I am going to tery pull the router out from the corner a bit more and see if that helps as its behind my hi-fi rack right now.

If no joy will need to look into more options.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts