Help! Just had a short circuit

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Tried to charge my macbook and a flash appeared and a little explosive sound. Music was playing and the set shut down instantly.

Is my set damaged now? What tests can I do to see if it's damaged by this? I turned it on and listened to it and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it.

Also my Macbook AC is a little bit burned.. But it still works (connected it in another place). But everytime I connect it there appears little flash. Is it broken?

Also I have a Supra MKII/EU Mainsblock but whenever I switch the lights on/off there is a "pop" sound. Shouldn't the mainsblock solve this? What can I do to counter this?

Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
By the set do you mean your MacBook or the system to which it was connected?

In either case, I wouldn't use either - and in particular that 'little bit burned' MacBook power adapter - until they have been checked over. That 'little flash you get every time you connect the power adapter concerns me - I think a new power adapter is probably a wise precaution.

A

Anonymous

Bad wires is a known problem with Apple's power adapters, and you you should get a new one for free.

I've never heard about connected equipment being damaged though. Usually the wire itself is the only thing that's damaged.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Is it the 'Magsafe' power connector to your MacBook?

Melting/burning Magsafe's are quite well documented. Type Magsafe and Melted or Melting into google and have a look.

If this is the problem, then order a new Magsafe lead. Probably worth getting the MacBook checked out at your local Apple store too.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
By the set do you mean your MacBook or the system to which it was connected?

In either case, I wouldn't use either - and in particular that 'little bit burned' MacBook power adapter - until they have been checked over. That 'little flash you get every time you connect the power adapter concerns me - I think a new power adapter is probably a wise precaution.

Luckily it wasn't connected to my set. So the Music system was shut down, because of the short, as in no electricity.

I will go to my Mac dealer to check it out.

Thanks for the replies.

ps. How about the popping sound when something gets switched on/off? Do I need a Mains conditioner to counter this?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If the lights are on a separate ring, then the sound is likely to be caused by a small spark in the switch when operated, which is transmitted as a radio signal and picked up by something in the system. A mains conditioner won't tackle this.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:If the lights are on a separate ring, then the sound is likely to be caused by a small spark in the switch when operated, which is transmitted as a radio signal and picked up by something in the system. A mains conditioner won't tackle this.

So, the only way to deal with this is through a electrician?

TRENDING THREADS