help, Ive been an accident

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, wife thought she was helping me when she reconnected speaker cables to our c370 and c270 in bi-amp mode. unfortunetly she connectd both amps speaker cables to the mid connections on one speaker ( MA GR60's ) and crossed them on the other speaker.

when she switched on power everything in the room went off, inclu both amps-which stayed off. aftr changing fuses in plugs-still nothing, except the power amp would come on for a second on orange light then switch off. changed main fuse inside both amps, the c370 went pop fizzle, followed by smoke and a yank out of the power cable from the socket. the c270 power amp just did the same as before-go off aftr 1 second.

question, am more concerned about the speakers considering what happened to the amps, but how to try them out, and would they still be damaged/weakened even if they did both still work.

Ive got a 23 year old kenwood amp thats about 100w. if i tryied one speaker at a time thru the kenwood, would it be enough to show up any probs with the speakers.

any advice would be greatly greatly appreciatted, inclu what new amp/power amp i should aim for as replacements

cheers

A

Anonymous

As long as the speakers didn't put out any insane power for a length of time they will be fine. Remember that rms power is not the peak power speakers will handle, even if they do make a short sharp really loud noise, chances are they'll be fine. Your kenwood amp will be fine to check them on. Remember that 10w continuous in a house living room is very loud.

Either call NAD about the amps or take them to a local nad dealership, they'll let you know the score.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Sounds to me like you have shorted the amplifier outputs to the speakers, which is the equivalent of a 0 ohm speaker impedance. Very bad for the amps insides, not so bad for the speakers, as I suspect no current actually went through them.

Damage is likely to be in the power supply and possibly transistor output stage, although drawing such a large current could have overheated a lot more. A HiFi repair shop, or NAD themselves will know.

Try your speakers with another amplifier to check them, but they will probably be ok.

A

Anonymous

massive thanks to Monstrous and Overdose for your advise and help.

cheers.
kit - dead nad c370, wounded nad c270, marantz cd 67 mk 2 SE, chord odyssy 2, MA GR60's, b&w 602 s3

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts