Help in deciding between Turntables?

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys,

Hope i've posted this in the right place this time.

I'd really appreciate some recommendations for Cartridges, Turntables & Tonearms.

The turntables i've shortlisted to hear are: ClearAudio's Innovation(£7,250c), Linn's LP-12 Klimax-Ekos/Radikal/Urika(£14,000c), Project's Signature(£7,500c), SME's 20/12(£11,350c) & Spiral Groove's SG-2(£14,000c). With the exception of the Linn analogue front-end, perhaps partnered with something like an Aesthetix Rhea/Rhea Signature phono-stage.

I'm open to suggestions regarding Cartridges & Tonearms. I've been most impressed by ClearAudio's Universal & SME's V 12in arms on the couple of occasions i've heard them used in a good set-up.

Although a new Spiral Groove Turntable will likely be beyond my budget of £11-12,000c, i'd be prepared to wait for an Ex-Dem or Pre-owned one becoming available.

Look forward to your suggestions.

Regards.

Babur.

Just a suggestion: keep your thread title short. It's annoyingly long, and members will have to delete most of the subject line in order to respond, as the forum only allows 64 characters.

Also, you only need to post your question once. Posting it 3 times will not give you more responses.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
It reads like a list of who's who.

Pretty pointless unless you tell what kind of sound you want.

Do you have a vinyl collection/replay system already?

regards

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi guys,

Apologies for the double post. Hope the amended thread title is more appropriate.

The majority of my 1800plus LP collection include Country/Folk, Electronica, Funk, Jazz, RnB, Rock/Pop, Soul genres. With a number of Classical & Choral works among them. Many of which are 180g or 200g Vinyl pressings.

I'd like to arrive at a naturally airy, extended, open, smooth & punchy sound when called for. But simultaneously preserving most of the inherent characteristic qualities of a decent analogue front-end ie. imaging, presence & weight.

Before moving South a number of years back, i did have a SP10 MkII with Technics, later with Rega Tonearms. However space constraints meant i had to down-size my system once i relocated to Surrey. It's only almost a decade later that i've been able to turn my attention to Vinyl replay.

My C2300 pre-amp includes a solid phono-stage, but having heard the Aesthetix Rhea a couple of times i've resolved to(eventually) land one for my system.

Look forward to your responses.

Regards.

Babur.

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi Floyd,

Yep. MC501's to drive a pair of the older B&W802D's.

Do you have any experience with or knowledge of the aforementioned TT's or Tonearms to relate, which may assist me in making my choice?

Regards.

Babur.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Babur72 said:
Hi Floyd,

Yep. MC501's to drive a pair of the older B&W802D's.

Do you have any experience with or knowledge of the aforementioned TT's or Tonearms to relate, which may assist me in making my choice?

Regards.

Babur.

Unfortunately no , although I have heard a great set up run through the Rhea phono many times. The deck is the Systemdek 3D Reference (over budget big time) . However Systemdek 3D Sig wont be a million miles different ( well about 8K ,lol) . So I'm chucking that into your mix. Tone arm , Audio Origami PU7 12" (stonkingly good). As for carts, well thats tricky isnt it. Try to get a listen to a Transfiguration Proteus in a good set up or perhaps a Benz LPS for a different taste. I run Benz and Transfigs but my set up is waaaayyy different to yours so you need to listen to something within a Mac set up if at all possible. Not much help really but have fun anyhoo.

An interesting selection of decks. When you say shortlisted do you mean that you can get to audition all of those on your list or is thee some other reason for the list as it stands?.

Presume you plan to buy new?

If I can make a suggestion you might add the TW Acustics Raven AC3, or any of their decks come to that, to your list.

Other tonearms I suggest you should look into are the Graham Phantom 2 and the Triplanar Mark 7.

If it was my money I'd have the SG2 with Centroid arm. :)

Babur72

Nov 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi Al,

By & large the shortlist i've formed has been whittled down from Turntables/Tonearms i've heard myself at promotional events or shows etc. Or by those recommended for me to audition by audiophile friends & colleagues whose opinions i value & who are long-time Analogue audio enthusiasts. As my appetite for my own Vinyl playback system has been subject to an enforced hiatus for over a decade, i've come to lean on these same audiophile friends to tap their collective experience.

I was utterly beguiled by the Spiral Groove SG-2 & Centroid tonearm when demonstrated at the Whittlebury Hall show by Jeremy of The Right Note, Bath. Where it was partnered with VTL 7.5 series III Ref. Pre, VTL TP 6.5 Sig. Phono-stage & VTL MB-450 series III Sig. Power-amps. Which were driving Kawero Vivace speakers. Also using Leading Edge acoustic treatments & supports, along with Vertex AQ cables.

Funnily enough. I have heard the odd positive opinion regarding the Graham Phantom tonearm. Would you know of any potential problems arising from the fitting of a Graham Phantom arm on the turntables i've listed?

Providing i could afford it, i'd prefer to purchase a new or Ex-Dem TT/tonearm. But, if not within my budget as new, then i'd be prepared to wait for my chosen TT/tonearm to become available on the pre-owned market.

Appreciate your input.

Regards & thanks.

Babur.

The Phantom tonearm can be ordered with a variety of fittings (SME etc) so I think you would have no problem configuring one to fit any of the turntables mentioned.

Another maker to look out for is Mark Baker of Origin Live. I can heartilly recommend his Sovereign / Conqueror combo that I heard some time ago ( fitted with some high-end Lyra cartridge I believe). He's great to chat with and produces some world-class kit that, although somewhat expensive, is a lot cheaper than most of the turntables you have shortlisted.

Reactions: Babur72

TRENDING THREADS