Help! Do I Have a blown channel on my Pioneer lx83?

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I've Only just bought this from ebay. Not had a real chance to put it through its paces but I thought it was sounding good...

It seemed to be running fine and then watching football I got a little crackle from the rear L speaker... - Thought nothing really of it...I've tested the speaker and its absolutely fine. I've done a reset and I've tried another speaker and the same problem...

The rear L channel volume is now very low compared to the others and when pushed to match is very distorted...
Does anyone know what it could be? A blown channel or something?

I reset it all and I have sound from the speaker but it's about 10db lower than the other channels.I did the mcacc setup and it's balanced them but it's at +8 whilst the other rear is at -4.5 and its not really putting out any volume when in normal play, just very feint...

I guess this is why people say to buy new!

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
does not sound good,if your sure the speaker is ok then sounds like the amp for that channel,check the speaker cable for stray wires any touching the back panel or other cables,other wise sounds like a repair job,was it ok up to now.

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
is it the same across all inputs or just the one,check all hdmi s are fully in,if it runs full volume during set up that suggests the amp is ok,check all cables,try manual test tones on the amp to see if its normal volume if so that suggests cables,speakers or source.

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
After being off for a while it ran full volume on the setup...

Now it doesnt sadly...

Its a 7 channel amp so I am wondering If I can use the other channels as surround left and right instead? (I am only using 5.1)

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
i would get the amp looked at but if you dont want to by all means hook up to the rear conections,im not sure what the rears will be sent,but no harm trying.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Makes me suspect a thermal fault. Maybe you have a microscopic crack on a circuit board that opens up as the interior components of your amp warm up. In a similar vein if your amp has any chips located in sockets, one of the chips could work slightly lose as the amp warms up.

This does make the fault hard to trace, because it only appears when the amp has warmed up.

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks so much for the different suggestion.

It doesn't work again if it's been in standby though. Only if it's been completely unplugged. Surely standby doesn't keep the amp that warm and it should cool down and work again...

ive ve not heard the fan working since I got it but I've not run it vigorously.

I was was thinking some kind of capacitor or something that discharges fully on being unplugged that isn't working correctly?

I have no clue though to be fair!

just a little annoyed as the seller is blaming it all on me which I find hard to believe that the fault wasn't already there.

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
By the way does any one know a rough idea of how much this could cost to fix?

I maxxed out out my budget on the amp and now in faced with possibly a large repair bill :(

Would you go to a authorised pioneer service centre or would you got somewhere else?

can anyone recommend someone in the Cheshire or Manchester or Liverpool area to repair?

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the help people - I filed a paypal claim to try to get the seller to agree to pay some of the repair costs seeing as I had hardly used the amp and it wasn't working. He said he wouldn't offer anything so Paypal decided to give me a full refund If I sent it back to the seller...

Thankfully got my refund for the Lx83. Now enjoying the LX 86 which I boight ex display with a 2 year warranty. Thanks for those that helped...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts