Help cant find any larger woofers bookshelf

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Id like to know who still makes good bookshelf with larger woofers nowadays.

I like most of the larger woofer bookshelf with wood cabinet I have heard. Vintage sound good to me! I would just like to add a bit of details and quality. Small woofers stacked dont sound good to me and subwoofer neither so please stick to my request: Id say 8 inch woofer would be a sweet spot and preferably 2 way design. My tastes are for smooth/surrounding/room filling mids, a decent bass and soft highs. If I know where the speaker is in the room then its a bad speaker to me.

Room size: 15x13

Amp: nad 275bee

Music: Rock,/Electro/Prog 80%, Jazz/blues/classic, 20%

Budget: around 1500

Thanks!

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
If you can find a pair, the Kord Tornado are very good. Based around the excellent Volt 8" driver, you can get a kit version of it know as the Wilmslow Audio HSM.

Other than that there are various Snell / Audionote 2-way standmounts that use a 8" mid-bass.

I love my Goodmans Axiom 201s, 12" wide range driver.......

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks!

Bad news : "In May 2010, Snell Acoustics ceased manufacturing operations. D&M Holdings is honoring all Snell Acoustics warranties through its authorized agent, Atomic Hi Fi and TV, 20 Main St. Ashland, MA 01721, www.snellacousticsparts.com"

Audio note looks good except the an-k got to be the worst looking speaker ever ;) but the specs are perfect!

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
There are also the Quested monitors, both active and passive which have good reviews, if you are after something pretty (prettier) then the Spendors mentioned above are most likely your best bet.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Checked it (Zensor 3) and they say 6,5' but it does look bigger. My boston A26 are stated to be 6,5' but I mesure it at 5,5'. I really hate these overspecs.

In the meantine found:

Jamo C803 7'

Epos Elan 15 7.3'

does anyone have heard Epos Elan 15 or JAMO 803 compared to Spendor SP3 ?

Im starting to find a few 7 inch, getting closer but still a bit disapointed not have more real 8' to pick from.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Checked it (Zensor 3) and they say 6,5' but it does look bigger. My boston A26 are stated to be 6,5' but I mesure it at 5,5'. I really hate these overspecs.

In the meantine found:

Jamo C803 7'

Epos Elan 15 7.3'

does anyone have heard Epos Elan 15 or JAMO 803 compared to Spendor SP3 ?

Im starting to find a few 7 inch, getting closer but still a bit disapointed not have more real 8' to pick from.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I have the C803 bookshelf speakers from Jamo, listening to them right now in fact. They have very impressive bass given the size. Planning on holding onto them when I get larger floorstanders and build an upgraded 5.1 setup using them as the fronts.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
pyrrhon said:
Vintage sound good to me! I would just like to add a bit of details and quality. Id say 8 inch woofer would be a sweet spot and preferably 2 way design. My tastes are for smooth/surrounding/room filling mids, a decent bass and soft highs. If I know where the speaker is in the room then its a bad speaker to me.

Here's what you need.. 100%.. spot on ( woofer size, overall sound.. sound not attached to speakers)

Harbeth C7ES3

( just a bit over your budget, but top contender for he only speakers you ever wanted)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
pyrrhon you need to look into transmission line designs.the size of the speaker cone is not the end all of good bass - internal box design, magnets and coil travel and alot of technology will give you the kind of bass your minds museum thinks it had from much smaller cones and boxes. Go into auditions with your eyes closed or a blind fold and go with what you hear as these new small boxes will also give you the sort of mid-range, top end performance you THINK those old big coned speakers could.

TrevC said:
A small woofer in a large box will invariably produce better bass than a large woofer in a small box.

That's debateable. Where is the proof.

........... says he promptly ducking back behind parapet....

However if it is in a large box it would not be a 'bookshelf' speakers so that makes it pretty irrelevent in this thread. :read:

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
TrevC said:
A small woofer in a large box will invariably produce better bass than a large woofer in a small box.

However if it is in a large box it would not be a 'bookshelf' speakers so that makes it pretty irrelevent in this thread. :read:

I ain't one to gang up on anybody with the mob or spread rumours or beliitle anyone.... but that guys crazy!

TrevC

Al ears said:
TrevC said:

It's the volume of the box that is the key to deep bass. I built my own speakers in the 70s.

TrevC

Thompsonuxb said:
Al ears said:
TrevC said:

I ain't one to gang up on anybody with the mob or spread rumours or beliitle anyone.... but that guys crazy!

Ad hominem is all you have.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks I like that! You do seem to understand the kind of sound Im lloking for. A dealer got some harbeth nearby I'll demo.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Al ears said:
TrevC said:

in your case, yes.

I tell you back in the early 90's I use to build speakers, had books on it and everything.

Built a pair of long throw speakers once - 15inch woofer in a box about 30cm's deep (may have been deeper, but only just deep enough to accomodate the magnet and padding/foam) a ported design that we then played in a club - you should have heard them. No fancy transmission tubes just a single 4 or 5inch port.on the baffle

They could blow candles out, the bass they produced was amazing .... all speaker, no box.

TrevC

Thompsonuxb said:
TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Al ears said:
TrevC said:

in your case, yes.

I tell you back in the early 90's I use to build speakers, had books on it and everything.

Built a pair of long throw speakers once - 15inch woofer in a box about 30cm's deep (may have been deeper, but only just deep enough to accomodate the magnet and padding/foam) a ported design that we then played in a club - you should have heard them. No fancy transmission tubes just a single 4 or 5inch port.on the baffle

They could blow candles out, the bass they produced was amazing .... all speaker, no box.

What drivers did you use?

TRENDING THREADS