Help a beginner!

lawrencej

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

First off, I hate doing this. I'm not usually someone to ask such generalised questions but audio equipement is just such a maze when you don't have any prior experience. I was hoping you could help me get a handle on my current system and what to add to improve it, bearing in mind that I don't really know the potential of what I have now or where I could get it to (or what I'm missing out on now)

In a way I just need a way to distribute my budget amongst the various pieces of equipement. So I currently have a beautiful pair of Bowers & Wilkins 602S3's, linked up to a Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5. The wires are all pretty standard (silver speaker cabling) and my issue is I have no idea if I have too good an amp or too good a pair of speakers or if they just don't match at all.

I'm hoping you can detect my total ineptitude haha. I'm a Software Engineer and understand the basic electrics and where things can go wrong digitally, but it's hard to tell the snake oil from genuine equipment when you haven't got it in front of you to listen to.

If anyone could suggest what they would add to that setup then it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I would guess the amp is the weaker, you could try demoing a Marantz 6004 currently £199 at Richer Sounds. What seems to be the problem with your system?

lawrencej

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
No real problem with the system it sounds amazing, far better than anything I've ever had before. In love with both the look and sound of the speakers but you know how it is- now I've got the itch.

Also does anyone have any opinions on the Arcam bluetooth DAC?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts