Hello experts, how can I make my mobile control/play and stream all the music in my house?

cmrichards

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'll cut to the chase : I would like to

* Be able to stream the music being played on my phone (android) to the speakers (amps) upstairs or downstairs.

* Using my mobile device, I want to be able to play any of my music collection that is stored on my NAS either on my upstairs or downstairs speakers.

* Using my mobile device, I want to be able to play music on the streaming service Rdio to either my upstairs or downstairs speakers,

I know that SONOS is the all in one solution that will do this for me, but for now I want to exclude that option for now. Also AirPlay is out of the question.

I am not averse to setting up software or servers in order to achieve these goals. I currently have a plex media server that I use to stream all my videos to all of the other clients I have (Android phone, iPads and Roku devices).

Any ideas?

Cheers
CHris

cmrichards

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Sonos is a closed and proprietary system, and it's allso quite expensive. I'd rather use an open, standards based, or free solution. Investing in proprietary is always a risky business.

I'd like to add many additional output points to the system and the cost of buying additional Sonos connect units would soon add up.

Now the great thing about the Sonos system is that it's easy to setup, but I don't mind putting in a little extra effort to get the same results, especially if there is a free or standards based approach to the problem.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
cmrichards said:
Sonos is a closed and proprietary system, and it's allso quite expensive. I'd rather use an open, standards based, or free solution. Investing in proprietary is always a risky business.

I'd like to add many additional output points to the system and the cost of buying additional Sonos connect units would soon add up.

Now the great thing about the Sonos system is that it's easy to setup, but I don't mind putting in a little extra effort to get the same results, especially if there is a free or standards based approach to the problem.

It sounds to me as though you're looking for a Windows- (or Apple- or Linux-)based media system. I don't mean this to sound like a brush-off, but it might be worth posting on this forum

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-media

if you haven't already.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
cmrichards said:

Afraid I don't understand that at all, if Sonos went bust tomorrow nothing would stop working, sure if something failed within the warranty period you wouldn't have many options but that's the same for anything you buy, proprietary or not.

How many existing hi-fis do you have? That's what the Connect is used for.

Now the great thing about the Sonos system is that it's easy to setup, but I don't mind putting in a little extra effort to get the same results,

IMO you'll never get anything that syncs as perfectly as Sonos or that works as smoothly but if that's not a consideration for you then I wish you luck.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
What equipment do you currently have? Is it only speakers and a phone?

I would mirror the comments regarding Sonos, or maybe Apple Airport Express, but when you use a simple plug and play system that works, all that time that would otherwise have been spent faffing to get the system to work, is now your free time. If you wish, you could spend it doing overtime to pay for the Sonos.

:)

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If you are willing to take the risk, Squeezebox products are still available on ebay.

Following the disastrous failure of the Google TV / Logitech Revue, Logitech shuttered the streaming media division. There is stll an active community however that supports users and Logitech continue (just) to support the software.

Arguably the squeezebox range was much more flexible than Sonos, and certainly had real HiFi credentials.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts