Hello and some advice needed.

filsgreen

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone, new to the forum and need some advice. Usual story, in my fifties and want to spend loads of money on buying LP's that I sold for a £1 each ten years ago. No use crying over wasted vinyl, and I don't think I'll miss Nightflight to Venus by Boney M anyway. At least I'll be a bit more selective now. I haven't a got system yet but have already bought five S/H LP's. I would like some advice on what system to buy, in particular a turntable. I'm at the budget end and looking at a Rega RP1 or a Project essential 2, both are about £210, which would be better? I would also like some advice on what to use with the TT. My last Hifi was Technics with Bose Acoustimass 5's in the 90's, I gave that away. My budget is about £700, but if anyone can make a case for spending more to get a much better system I'm all ears and would go to £1000. I would rather get it right now than have to upgrade in a year's time. One thing is for sure, this rekindled hobby is going to cost, the price of new LP's is crazy. Thanks for reading and any advice offered.

Phil

PS the system will live in a log cabin type buiding, 3.5m L by 2.8m W, 2.3 H. It's the only place I can have it, my man cave. Will this affect the sound, will I be wasting my money?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
IMO the room is always a limit on SQ no matter how much u spend. Log cabin? No idea really but it may sound quite good. Give Gik acoustics an email maybe? Its small but with the right kit and a little treatment you may have a decent sound-cave.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
My budget system would start with a Technics SL-DL1 turntable off ebay for under £50. New stylus about £13. Graham Slee DAK Genera phono stage (if you're OK with a soldering iron) £132. Keep the rest for a second hand amp (I'll let others recommend) and the best speakers you can afford.

You can build a really decent system.

my advice would to purchase second hand decent kit. You'll get way more bang for your buck.

You could start with a marantz amp and CD player, some q acoustic speakers, and a rega or project turntable. That should set you off in the right direction.

Dont worry too much about trying to get everything right first time round. Just get involved, see what you like, and take it from there.

You can build a really decent system.

my advice would to purchase second hand decent kit. You'll get way more bang for your buck.

You could start with a marantz amp and CD player, some q acoustic speakers, and a rega or project turntable. That should set you off in the right direction.

Dont worry too much about trying to get everything right first time round. Just get involved, see what you like, and take it from there.

filsgreen

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your advice guys. I don't want to use the second hand route as you don't know what you'll end up with until it arrives on your doorstep. The Roksan is a lie on the R***er S***d website, there are non available. Still looking and would welcome more sage advice. I am also trawling older posts, there were a lot of people in the same boat as me. :)

Phil

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I agree second hand is a risk, but over the last couple of years I've bought three linear tracking TTs (all Technics) and have been delighted with all. The most common problem is the arm drive belt needs replacing, but it's really easy and there's lots of advice out there. If the Roksan isn't available at the right price I'll reinstate my recommendation for the DAK Genera phono pre-amp.

TRENDING THREADS