Heathkit AR-14, best amp

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Heathkit-AR-14-Receiver-1972-300x199.jpg

Had this one, soldered by Dad, until teenager. Got McIntosh blue display. About 10 watts.

Have not found any amp which can play Iron Maiden or AC/DC records better. Still searching. Any suggestions?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
There's a name from the past!

I built a lot of Heathkit stuff when I was doing my Electronics degree. I remember particualrly the oscilloscope which, whilst it wasn't up to the professional stuff we had in the labs at Uni, was perfect for testing audio circuits. I also built one of their radio transceivers, which was particularly good. I guess people don't make this kind of thing now.

Thank you for taking me back to my youth.

Chris

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
There's a name from the past!

I built a lot of Heathkit stuff when I was doing my Electronics degree. I remember particualrly the oscilloscope which, whilst it wasn't up to the professional stuff we had in the labs at Uni, was perfect for testing audio circuits. I also built one of their radio transceivers, which was particularly good. I guess people don't make this kind of thing now.

Thank you for taking me back to my youth.

Chris

:cheers: Cheers! The walnut cover was a touch which elevated the visual experience.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
NHL said:

Had this one, soldered by Dad, until teenager. Got McIntosh blue display. About 10 watts.

Have not found any amp which can play Iron Maiden or AC/DC records better. Still searching. Any suggestions?

Quad 33/303 combo. Friend used this combo with a pair of AR96 floorstanders. Awesome sound but controlled as well. 303 doesn't really like 4-8 ohms though.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
NHL said:

Quad 33/303 combo. Friend used this combo with a pair of AR96 floorstanders. Awesome sound but controlled as well. 303 doesn't really like 4-8 ohms though.

One text mentioned that the Quad probably would be too expensive to manufacture today, seems like an interesting amp. It some kind of control circuit which ruled out temperature changes. Any amp from todays offerings which could mimic the Heathkit?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
NHL said:
Richard Allen said:
NHL said:

One text mentioned that the Quad probably would be too expensive to manufacture today, seems like an interesting amp. It some kind of control circuit which ruled out temperature changes. Any amp from todays offerings which could mimic the Heathkit?

Probably not any of the mainstream ones.

Recently heard and liked this.....

peachtree-audio-decco65-amplifier-full-angle.jpg

Very 'characterful' in both sound and looks.

Functionality is decent though I thought it a bit less powerful than the specs suggested.

Keep the speakers sensible and reasonably sensitive and it should be fine.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
NHL said:
Thanks, it at least looks like some kind of modern retro variant, will check it out!

In more ways than one.

Primarily a digital amplifier with just one analogue input. Class D power amp yet it has a valve in the preamp section. In circuit for both headphones and main outs.

Should take the 'edge' off of the state of the art 'ESS Sabre Dac'......... ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts