Hey guys, I'm new to hi fi stuff, so pardon my igorance.

I have a secondhand Onkyo AVR with a 1/4" headphone jack. I also have a pair of headphones with a 3.5mm plug. I bought a stereo 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter and an extension cable to listen to my turntable with my headphones, but whenever I plug my phones into the 1/4" adapter (via the extension or not), the sound is quite distorted. What should I do?

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. does this happen even at very little volume?

What Onkyo model is the AVR? it seems strange that it has a 1/4 headphone socket on it. Not being funny but are you sure thats not where the auto calibration mic goes. It may not be a headphone socket at all. Unless it says it is of course. Some AV amps don't carry headphone sockets anymore.

It could also be to do with your Phono stage. I'm guessing the audio is fine normaly?

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Andrew. Have a look at the bottom right corner of page 39 of the user manual. I wonder if the amp is not switching patches properly so it's over powering the headphones.

A good thing to try is listening to another source to make sure the headphone socket is working correctly. Even try another adaptor and another set of headphones. Don't put the headphones on your head though, look after your ears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts