Headphone amp for AKG 701

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Looking for a headphone amp up to £500 to power my AKGs. I'm planning to demo a Creek (can't remember the model No), Heed can amp, lehman rhinelander and the entry level stax system, as it is within my budget. Can anyone recommend any others that could trump these. It is unlikely that I would be able to demo your suggestions, as these are the only amps I can find in the Exeter area.

I am looking for an amp that could add abit of bass weight that I believe the AKGs are missing.

Thanks

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I can only recommend what i know but have a look at the littledot headphone amps on ebay - they are tube based and sound fantastic also allow a lot of tuning options in terms of buying different tubes to alter the sounds to your musical taste - i have the littledot mkIII with a few different sets of tubs and thing its great - they do more exotic amps as well

I also have a firestone Audio Fubar 4 on order (mainly cause discounted price and includes a dac which i wanted) but that also includes a dac so depends on what source your using - i'm getting it for computer and ipod listening via digital dock - will let you know my thoughts shortly should be here early next week - http://www.firestone-audio.eu/shop/products/allproductslisted/fubar4.php

also have a project headbox mkII which is a good budget amp but no where near as enjoyable as the littledot

A

Anonymous

I have never compared different headphone amps, but I run my AKGs with the Musical Fidelity X-Can v8, and it is great! Warmth, detail, musicality...I lover it! There often are good exemplars at Ebay, but if your budget is £500 you can get a new one, too.

Hedgehog

idc

What are using to amp the K701s at the moment? I also have the X-CANV8P and an X-CANS and the portable FiiO E5. All three will do deep bass, but only when the original recording does deep bass. What they dont do with my amps, compared to other headphones is add to or emphasise the bass. What they do do is play bass with real detail. You can really hear individual kick drums beats and even how hard the drum is being hit. You can hear the bass guitar being plucked and resonate. I can switch bass boost on with the FiiO and get more depth, but not as much as my other headphones, which are more sensitive.

Your list to demo is very good, though is the Stax not an electrostatic amp?

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
idc:

What are using to amp the K701s at the moment? I also have the X-CANV8P and an X-CANS and the portable FiiO E5. All three will do deep bass, but only when the original recording does deep bass. What they dont do with my amps, compared to other headphones is add to or emphasise the bass. What they do do is play bass with real detail. You can really hear individual kick drums beats and even how hard the drum is being hit. You can hear the bass guitar being plucked and resonate. I can switch bass boost on with the FiiO and get more depth, but not as much as my other headphones, which are more sensitive.

Your list to demo is very good, though is the Stax not an electrostatic amp?

At the moment they are being driven by my Cyrus 8vs amp, which isn't ideal sound wise or for the fact that the headphone port is positioned at the back. I really like the AKG sound, very detailed and neutral. It maybe the amps letting the side down.

The Stax system included headphones aswell as amp but I spoke to the dealer and unfortunatley since January they no longer sell Stax. I found another dealer though that stocks the Naim head amp and a Rega amp, so two more on the list.

I must say that the little dot is an amp I am interested in and may buy the mk 3 in the future aswell.

idc

That really is a cracking list of potentials, please let us know your thoughts on any of the auditions. If any of the dealers come out with the frequent 'AKGs they are difficult to drive' line, all of the amps you have listed will drive the K701s without any issue.

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Just finished an audition of the Heed can amp, Lehmann Rhinelander, Rega ear and Naim Headline. I was really hoping to be blown away by one of these amps, but honestly the differences between them and my Cyrus 8vs were small.

The Lehmann and Heed, to me sounded similar. Maybe a slightly bigger soundstage to my 8vs, but not enough of a difference to justify paying 350-400 pounds for.

The Rega didn't stand out. The Naim didn't, in my opinion, dig up any extra detail but had quite a nice laid back sound. Vocals and treble were set back compared to Cyrus, which seem to be towards the front of the soundstage.

While I was in the shop I thought I would try a couple of headphones, the Sennheiser HD595 and Grado 60i. The Senns I didn't like at all. They sounded as though I had put cotton wool in my ears before hand. The Grado were ok but lacked the detail and bass control of my AKG 701.

I'm slightly disappointed that I didn't find an amp that really impressed me, but glad I did a proper audition and have saved my money.

A

Anonymous

Hi TitusG,

That's a very impressive list, and I envy you for the insight into these amps; sorry to hear that you found none of them convincing. May I just remind you that there also is the MF X-CANV8P which, if I've read you correctly, you haven't tried yet. As I said before, I haven't compared it to anything else but find it excellent with the AKGs. Give it a try and they just might be what you're looking for!

Hedgehog

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Hedgehog

I will keep an eye out for the musical fidelity and hopefully be able to give it a try. If one comes up on ebay for a good price I may go for it. Maybe tubes are the way to go.

Hi idc

None gave extra bass depth but the Naim did hold back the midrange, giving a more even sound. I just didn't think it was worth £475 for a slight change in presentation. I was hoping for the difference I heard between the sennheisers and my AKGs.

A

Anonymous

Hi, in regards to the lehmann rhinelander, you need to be aware if the gain jumpers are in place. When I first audtioned them with Sennheinser 650s they sounded just nice and fairly unremarkable. But once the jumpers were put in they sprung to life!! The jumpers are not in place by default and are given to you in a separate bag with a small torx spanner. The jumpers basically increase the gain and the Sennheinsers IMHO really need them.

Cutlass

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
The Naim Headline really needs the NAPSC power supply to get going, in my opinion. Try Tom Tom Audio for 'pre-loved' examples. Also the Grado SR325is are a very detailed headphone with good bass extension.

TitusG

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
I went for a little dot iv in the end. To be honest it hasn't made an overly noticable difference in sound compared to the Cyrus and I think I could go without a dedicated headphone amp altogether, although I do like to watch the tubes glowing at night.

The big sound difference in sound came when I bought a pair of Grado 325i. I don't think they are more detailed than the AKG 701 but the bass extension is huge, it's like listening to floorstanders. This can add much needed warmth to some records but be overbearing and fuzzy on others. I then change back the AKGs.

I would love to be able to find a set of headphones that combined the middle and treble of the AKGs with the bass of the Grados. Although I can get by by swapping headphones for now.

Cutlass

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Funny enough I was looking for the detail of the Grado 325is with the bass expression of thei RS2s (which is tighter and more extended than the 325is). I found it in the GS1000is!

TRENDING THREADS