HDMI -- passthrough Panasonic TX55cx802B to optical out

Hi folks, I have had a very frustrating day, Im trying simply my connection setup now I bought a posh telly. I have a panasonic 5.1 surround unit tahat only has one optical input, this is currently used by my sky box. What i wanted to do is get my sky box to sent 5.1 to the TV via HDMI and then use the optical out from the TV to connect to the 5.1 unit. I also wanted to buy a new Blu-Ray player, HDMI that to the TV and get sound out of the optical out to the 5.1 unit HOWEVER i am totally confused now having spoken to three different shop, 2 of which have told me that 5.1 going into the TV HDMI will not pass through the TV and back out as 5.1 via the optical out, the TV will dumb it down to stereo. Another guy told me that was a load of tosh and of course it would work. I'm out of touch with this and knocking on a bit, what is the truth.

Also when I turn my sky box settings to allow Dolby Dig over HDMI I loose the sound all together, as I said the Sky box is HDMI to the TV and optical to the 5.1, it's when the 5.1 is off and just HDMI working to the TV that this happens. HDMI has to be set to stereo of I get nothing from the TV ---- is there a setting I need to alter on the TV end of things ??

I have got the Sky optically connected to the 5.1 but my problem is the unit is quite old and not blessed with connections so I guess I'm trying to use the TV as a hub, hence my question about signals passing through ---- are they dumbed down from 5.1 HDMI in to stereo coming out of the optical out of the TV.

Also has anyone got an answer regarding the sky box

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts