HDMI out - Laptop

John Duncan

The manual says:

1. Select Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound icon.
2. Click the Playback tab, click Digital Output Device (HDMI), and then click Set Default.

Note though that the manual appears quite generic (it says "Select Models Only" a lot), so if this doesn't work, you may be SOL...

A

Anonymous

This depends very much on the manufacturer, unfortunately its something that seems to be forgotten about on a lot of laptops as the sound needs to be looped back from the sound hardware to the graphics hardware on the motherboard (or the cards, if they are not on board). Try the method JD suggests, if that does not work I would say you are out of luck and may have to settle for stereo from the 3.5mm jack.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Managed to get sound through hdmi. Using foobar2000 with the WASAPI plugin managed to send the sound bit perfect with no sampling to my home cinema amplifier (I can check the input signal on my home cinema amplifier). I presume this means that the sound card in my laptop is just passing the audio stream through to the amp? Confirmation on this would be great. I like to know what everything is doing!

With my home cinema amplifier taking care of the digital to analogue conversion I also presume that this is the best way to listen to music through my laptop (songs are encoded in either WAV or FLAC formats) - without further purchases i.e DacMagic etc?

Matt

TRENDING THREADS