HDMi connector to lenghthen cable?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I currently have a 20m HDMi cable ruinning from a splitter round the outside of my house which work perfectly with no obvious loss of quality. We are moving 2 rooms around and this cable is not now long enough. My option is to replace the 20m cable with a 30m cable but a cheaper option maybe to use a connector and conect a new 10m cable to the existing one.

Is this actually possible and will i lose some picture quality??

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Leaving aside the notions of will / won't picture quality be affected by different cables, you're getting into very long lengths there and therefore the realms of cables not able to transmit the data that distance before the data loss causes picture breakup / sparkles. This is even more likely if you try to connect two long leads together - the 10m cable will have been designed to transmit the data over 10m and the 20m cable over 20m - neither was designed to transmit over 30m, so although it's impossible to rule out, you're more likely to see issues.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Rather than a simple connector, might be worth considering a powered HDMI repeater to connect the two cables, which will have the effect of boosting the signal.

Google 'HDMI repeater' and you'll be presented with a variety of options.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the swift replies chaps.

I've had a change of plan actually and have ordered a new Sky 1TB Box and they are throwing in 12 months free multiroom so that solves my problem.

A

Anonymous

i went through to the cancellation dept and said that Virgin were offering some good deals at the moment.

Was offered a 1TB box for £99, free installation and 12 months free multiroom which i thought was a pretty good deal. I had to agree to a new 12 month contract but had no problem with that.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
A small inline repeater is the way to go.
30 metres without one is pushing the boundries and the first thing you will probably notice is the unwanted introduction of "sparklies" in your picture.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts