HDMI cables - prone to failure?

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
...For various reasons I had to re-route the HDMI connectors of various items of my equipment ...it now appears my Denon DVD 1940 + my Panasonic Drm77 DVD/HD Recorder no longer give a picture on my Pioneer 50 7xd plasma .....whilst my Sky HD box seems to lose it's picture if I so much as move it back in it's rack by 2/3 inches (!) these items are all connected via HDMI leads to a Onkyo 875 and had all worked perfectly prior to being recently unplugged a few times to be re sited. All the items and the HDMI leads (Ixos cables worth approx £30.00 each) are only a few months old. I'm befuddled to say the least! Are HDMI cables so easily damaged? Is it likely to be a problem with the HDMI sockets on the rear of my Plasma? .......I've even gone through the menu's on my Onkyo in case I've missed something and changed the HDMI set up by accident but think not......The Pioneer's pics through the freeview are perfect ...My son's Sony Playstation (connected by scart) and his Nintendo Wii (connected by composite) work fine ..so I'm doubting it's a problem with the tv as such...so are HDMI cables so easily prone to failure or am I missing something? ...Any advice greatly appreciated!!

nads

i dont know it they are prone to failure but i know Andrew has been commenting on the poor thought that went into the design and placement of the ports. I have reconnected mine a few times and as yet no problems. i would get the torch out and have a look into the connectors and check for damage.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's usually down to the plugs becoming loose in the socket.

We need thumbscrews - both to hold the plugs in place, and to put on the people who designed this connector in the first place.

A

Anonymous

In the US you frequently see online arguments that, while the receipt of analogue signals improves with the quality of cabling, a digital signal by definition either gets received or doesn't, there being no qualitative effect from quality of cabling whatsoever. In other words HDMI cabling at £10 for 3m, assuming the terminals have solid contact, does exactly the same job as all those HDMI cables promoted for profit by the industry at up to £100 and beyond........why does WHiFi not agree?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="stormbird8"]

why does WHiFi not agree?

[/quote]

Because we have seen, and heard, the benefits of better cables.

Thread locked to save us all from a world of pain. Again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts