HDMI Cables No Difference Regardless of Cost or Brand???

While trying to do research and seek out reviews on some TVs I'm considering, I came across this article about HDMI cables suggesting that short cables will give you the same quality of picture and sound.

The basis being that it's a digital signal which is not altered by the composition of the wire.

Curious on your thoughts seeing as I've spent a small fortune on cabling over my time!

https://www.avforums.com/article/do-expensive-hdmi-cables-make-a-difference.10801

D

Deleted member 116933

The only difference is build quality and even then i wouldn't spend over £30. £15 one from tescos and or sainsbury's

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully this won't start another great cable debate. The alternative however will be a lack of response from any who believe in differences. It does seem a good scientific evidence/experiment. We await similar tests for other cables.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've just had a pj setup installed. The installer did recommend cables that were overpriced IMO. For connecting the equipment I used Amazonbasics. They were 1m cables and it's was just over £10 for 3. I will admit to using a much more expensive cable for the run from AVR to pj. It's 15m long so beyond what might be considered the length that a standard cable can be guaranteed at.

It has transmitter/receiver terminals and can only used in one direction. I know this because we initially put it in the wrong war round, and had to go back in the loft to switch it around. I had initially intended to get a standard one for £20-30 but went with this OVER-engineered cable to be safe.

As long as the HDMI cable is within spec, there shouldn't be any difference. For my projector, I went for 10m Neet HDMI cable due to its superior build and yet reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002EA4276/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1436905505&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=neet+10&dpPl=1&dpID=41iv1U3limL&ref=plSrch

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I may have got away with 10m but it might have been tight.

Even hdmi.org mentions these other types of construction for over 10m. If I'm really honest as I'd already saved so much on the screen & pj, I just thought what the heck.

It was quite a small percentage of the overall cost.

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I've got a 10m cable from IBRA. I went for the Platinum cable which is currently priced at under £12 (Amazon) and I had to extend it slightly so I used a cheap male to female adaptor and attached another 0.5m HDMI cable that came supplied with my blu-ray player. The connection is between my AVR and my PJ and I've never had an issue. It is only used for video which has always looked great. I certainly can't see the point in spending more than this for exactly the same functionality. The build quality is excellent.

This interface has been incrementally progressing without knowing where it is heading.We need displayport 1.3 for home cinema the old 1.2 standard outperformed hdmi 2.
All studios master movies in 4096x 2016 if in 4k from as far back as 20 years ago.Well ask yourself this can your '4k'....TV show 4096 x2016.If not why not....blame hdmi.
One of the sponsor of avforum had wrote on this....'the genie is out of the bag'...we know full frame 4k is not what we are getting.I know we lose 6% of the image but because of hdmi.....ridiculous.

Nadfan

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
eggontoast said:
If you just need a 1M cable just go to poundland, they are perfectly good enough and cost.....a pound ;-)
. Totally agree how do Currys PC world get away with ripping people off ??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts