HDMI ARC and HDMI eARC: everything you need to know

PJBA11

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
Unfortunately this is never as simple as its seems.

I purchased a new OLED TV in January to replace a model from the same manufacturer which the original had an optical output providing 24Bit 48 Khz. The new model £1500 has only 16 Bit audio on optical and so I contacted the manufacturer to confirm what bit depth and sample rate the new model could provide from its 'arc' output - I am still waiting a response despite multiple communications suggesting that I read the manual and tech spec which has absolutely no reference to this

Obviously the manufacturer is not concerned about sound quality or customer service?

This isn't a forum to name and shame, however a message to manufacturers "If your to sell technology, please ensure you and your support staff understand it!

Freelivorno

Dec 20, 2020
Visit site
I have lg cx a and samsung q70t soundbar connected with ultra speed hdmi eternet compatible cable. I see earc on soundbar after activated it on TV setting. My system is 2.1?

Mebel

Jan 17, 2021
Visit site
Your sound bar package will state what kind of system set up it is. It's a least a 2.1 if it came with a bar and a subwoofer (speaker box)

Gizmo

Mar 1, 2021
Visit site
The information at the end asks the question "Is eARC backwards compatible with ARC?" An explanation is given which is fine & correct, but then it states "So no, it's not backwards-compatible."
Well, yes it is backwards compatible - you can plug in older equipment and it will work. No one is going to think that you can plug older equipment and suddenly get better features on it.

Gizmo

Mar 1, 2021
Visit site

PetrSP7

Sep 1, 2020
Visit site
The same mishmash as with everything in the home entertainment industry. Manufacturers are trying to push you to buy something amazing that will open up unsuspected worlds to you - and which will be "out" again in a few years ...

Mr. Reeee

Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
Hmmm. I have an LG 4K G1 series UHDTV. It's connected to a pair of KEF LS60 speakers (and KEF KUBE 10b subwoofer) via an HDMI eARC cable.

It's all connected correctly, but no sound. The TV's remote does trigger the speakers' volume LED, it blinks when the volume is triggered, but still no sound.

The speakers use an app (KEF Connect) that activates what they call TV mode, which is the built-in HDMI eARC jack.
The TV has an HDMI eARC. I seem to have activate sound out on the TV via HDMI eARC.

The cable is from Amazon and supposedly 8K HDMI eARC compliant (Zeskit Maya 8K 48Gbps … $20)

Maybe the cable is junk? I hesitate trying some of the HDMI eARC tricks because KEF says connect cables ONLY when the speakers are OFF.

Now what? I'm ready to pull the trigger on an Audio Quest HDMI eARC compliant cable.

Bravissimo594

Jan 3, 2023
Visit site
How is a single optical audio cable more of a "messy solution" than a single HDMI cable? Is it that the HDMI cable can allow powering up/down a sound system?

Thanks for the information in there.

Mr. Reeee

Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
How is a single optical audio cable more of a "messy solution" than a single HDMI cable? Is it that the HDMI cable can allow powering up/down a sound system?

From what I've read the older optical inputs/outputs support lower resolution audio.
Not sure what the numbers are.

Current eArc HDMI supports higher res audio, among other things.

From my earlier question, I figured out how to make the eARC HDMI work properly.

First I bought a better eARC HDMI cable (AudioQuest Vodka), one that positively supports all current standards.

Next, it turns out that my speaker system, KEF LS60 Wireless, ONLY supports PCM audio, not Dolby, Bitstream, Auto or similar. So, I had to dig through ALL the sub-menus of my TV to set PCM audio.

Now it all works.

One really nice thing is that my TV remote adjusts the KEF speaker volume.

eARC HDMI is a great solution, once setup properly.

Reactions: Bravissimo594

Username1

Aug 11, 2023
Visit site
I don't get it. Seems like you're just replacing the optical cable with an HDMI cable for sound... What am I missing?
thx
john
I been looking at sound bars and i've also been wondering about this! I think what they mean is that you can also connect other hdmi devices (tv box/gaming console) to the soundbar and it passes that signal on to the tv? Not sure if it works this way but if it does you would only have 1 hdmi cable going up to your tv. This is the only thing i can come up with.. Doesn't seem like that big a deal to me, but i guess it would be for people that use multiple hdmi inputs and have their tv mounted to the wall.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts