hdd dvd dead! what now?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
well now hd dvd is dead i feel really let down by toshiba and the whole hd war thats gone on! i currently have a toshiba hd-1 player that is a superb upscaler of normal dvds and equally with hd dvds,but now i feel like chucking it out of the window and just getting a normal dvd player ! why do i [and many others i presume] resist to temptation and splash our cash on technology like this,surely more of a fight could have been shown by toshiba than just cutting the cost of players! anyway i would really like a blu ray player ,but price is putting me off at the mo,a playstation 3 would be my cheapest option but its too ugly ,and i probably wouldnt use it as a games console,being a 360 owner![yes i realise it can be used for many other things.but im not that technicaaly gifted!] -and at the end of the day the people that are really laughing are those that have travelled to tesco and bought a £20 dvd player with no hassle!

A

Anonymous

I`ve just got the sharp bd hp20 and can say it`s a great player and I believe amazon have it for 200 quid,I paid more than that.I also have a Tosh hd ep30,when it came out and am still happy I bought it even though blu-ray won.Personally I only wanted a cheap bd player so the sharp fits the bill perfect.

A

Anonymous

I'm really happy with my BD HP20, too. And my Ep 30! Both do great DVD upscaling, although (for the time being) only region 2. OK, I hedged my bets, but there was always going to be one winner in the stupid format war. The thing to do (for all early adopters) is be philosophical. We buy our kit. It's out of date before we unpack it. But at least we get a few months exclusive use before the next (cheaper, better, other) thing comes along to replace it.....

A

Anonymous

I bought my EP-30 just before Christmas and am very happy with it indeed. Upscaling is superb, and the feature set of HD-DVD and the price at the time (£200) where just where I wanted them to be. the Picture in Picture commentaries are superb, the in-line menus that don't interrupt the film are great.
BluRay players, or rather the spec, are not yet where I want them to be, so I won't be buying a stand alone any time soon (Although I may add one in to a MediaPC I'm thinking of building where you can move with the spec very easily) so I will continue to enjoy my HD content on HD-DVD (hopefully are some real bargain prices soon!) and TV.

A

Anonymous

Hi Coletti,

In reality, you wouldn't really have spent £20 on buying a DVD player from a supermarket instead of a HDDVD player, you would have probably spent more on an upscaling DVD player like the denon 1940 (which has an MRSP of £249). Once you knock this figure off what you payed for the Toshiba player, thats really all you have lost.

You do still have some HD-DVD's to enjoy watching, and I'm usre it wont be too long until dcecent priced Blu-ray machines are on the market now the "war is over". I'm sure there'll be plenty of bargain basement titles for you to pick up over the next 12 months or so.. to play on a player that will probably last about 5 years before it gives up the ghost.

You took a gamble, but its not like you've lost everything.

No ones laughing from the supermarket buyers. The first DVD player I bought was from a supermarket, and it lasted about 3 years (I was only watching films on a 20" sony CRT). When I replaced the whole lot with proper branded kit, I realised there was footage of some films I hadn't even seen before because the c**py player couldn't play properly!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts