HD Sound for BBC online radio

daveh75

Starting with The Electric Proms....Excellent, cheers for the heads-up
emotion-21.gif

scene

the_lhc:Interesting but kind of useless at the moment without some idea of what bitrates they'll be using.
Sorry, but it's all they've posted to date - maybe the nice people at WHFS&V can find out more for us...

scene

chebby:
the_lhc:Interesting but kind of useless at the moment without some idea of what bitrates they'll be using.

Probably 320k AAC as experimented with during the recent Proms.

You beat me to it Chebby
emotion-1.gif
- couldn't press post as had to answer a work question...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:I'm sure it'll be a great improvement, but enough to be referred to as "HD"?

320K AAC is significantly better than DAB bitrates (AAC is better than DAB's MP2 as well) and it will probably sound better than the vast majority of FM tuners (based on what I have seen people using as 'aerials' on these forums and what I have actually seen myself in friend's stereos.)

People are happy to spend a fortune on cables but begrudge relatively modest amounts of money to get a professionally fitted rooftop FM (or DAB) aerial installed.

BBC FM radio (with a decent tuner, proper aerial and good reception) is still the 'Gold standard' but rarely achieved in reality due to the reasons above.

Freeview radio and BBC iPlayer/online radio are the next best thing and DAB is the bottom of the heap. (Even/especially for speech or 'spoken word' radio which can be more demanding than people would credit.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts