HD receiver replacement for Denon AVR-3802

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks

I've spent some time deliberating over getting an HD receiver to replace my Denon AVR-3802 which I've had for 5 years or so.

The kit I will be using with the new receiver is as follows:
  • Sony KDL-40W4000
  • KEF KHT2005 (v1) 7.1 setup
  • Xbox 360 for gaming only connected via HDMI or VGA
  • PS3 for gaming and blu-ray/DVD/streamed media playback (with the emphasis on HD content) connected via HDMI
Now the sound quality I got from the Denon over all these years has been exceptional, however, my budget has become a little more restrictive recently, so I am unlikely to afford something of equivalent standards today (aparently)!

I am prepared to spend £400-500 (<£600 at a push!) and had - at its release - been eyeing up the Sony STR-2400ES especially following its favourable review on this site. I've since read/received advice that an amp such as this - in spite of providing the modern HD connectivity and codecs - is likely to sound a little dissapointing compared to the Denon due to the difference in quality of the amplification.

What's important to me:

At least 3 HDMI inputs.

Minimal degredation in video output quality passing signal through the amp.

Being able to decode all new HD audio formats.

Not taking a big step backwards in overall sound quality.

My questions are:

Am I really going to be taking an overall backward step in sound quality just to get HDMI and HD codecs etc?

What other models would you recommend that are well suited to my setup and price range?

I have more recently been using a Pioneer VSX-1016V with my setup after moving house and the sound quality is what my ears are currently acclimatised to. To my ears, the sound from this amp is more than satisfactory, so how would the Sony STR-2400ES compare with this?

Any help/advice you could offer would be much appreciated, hopefully resulting in my being able to make a decision at long last!

Thanks in advance.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Like you I was looking at replacing my A/V receiver with the Sony STR2400ES or possibly the Denon 1909. Then I realised that as manufacturers bring out their new models there are some real bargains to be had on last years stock. I ended up spending just under £800 on a Yamaha RX-V3800. Now whilst this was more than I was originally looking to spend but it's got 4 HDMIs, all HD codecs and was described only a few months ago as being one of the best £1300 receivers ever! So what I would say is keep a look out for last years models, see which ones meet your requirements, and keep you eye out for bargains!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Bison:
Hi folks

I've spent some time deliberating over getting an HD receiver to replace my Denon AVR-3802 which I've had for 5 years or so.

The kit I will be using with the new receiver is as follows:
  • Sony KDL-40W4000
  • KEF KHT2005 (v1) 7.1 setup
  • Xbox 360 for gaming only connected via HDMI or VGA
  • PS3 for gaming and blu-ray/DVD/streamed media playback (with the emphasis on HD content) connected via HDMI
Now the sound quality I got from the Denon over all these years has been exceptional, however, my budget has become a little more restrictive recently, so I am unlikely to afford something of equivalent standards today (aparently)!

I am prepared to spend £400-500 (<£600 at a push!) and had - at its release - been eyeing up the Sony STR-2400ES especially following its favourable review on this site. I've since read/received advice that an amp such as this - in spite of providing the modern HD connectivity and codecs - is likely to sound a little dissapointing compared to the Denon due to the difference in quality of the amplification.

What's important to me:

At least 3 HDMI inputs.

Minimal degredation in video output quality passing signal through the amp.

Being able to decode all new HD audio formats.

Not taking a big step backwards in overall sound quality.

My questions are:

Am I really going to be taking an overall backward step in sound quality just to get HDMI and HD codecs etc?

What other models would you recommend that are well suited to my setup and price range?

I have more recently been using a Pioneer VSX-1016V with my setup after moving house and the sound quality is what my ears are currently acclimatised to. To my ears, the sound from this amp is more than satisfactory, so how would the Sony STR-2400ES compare with this?

Any help/advice you could offer would be much appreciated, hopefully resulting in my being able to make a decision at long last!

Thanks in advance.
emotion-1.gif

You've got to be realistic. The 38 range of Denon is currently on 08 (yours is 02). The 3808 costs about £1500. You want to spend a third of that. HD audio shocked me. I didn't think that it could be as good as it is. Therefore, BD films will sound great to you in HD audio as you haven't heard it yet. Will a £500 receiver sound as good as your 3802 with DD and DTS and stereo? Probably not but you are getting a lot for your money. My 3400es sounds fantastic so I would imagine that the 2400es is very good too. You might be pleasantly surprised.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback so far Movies and Music and Gerrardasnails. :)

@ M&M - I think I'll have a browse around for last years models to see if I can get a good deal.

@ Gerrard - I did foresee a drop in price range (on old vs new equivalent models) equaling a drop in quality somewhat, so I totally agree with what you've said there. Interesting to hear your opinion of the HD formats too. I am looking forward to hearing some of these new audio tracks.

At this stage I'd have to say I'm swaying between the Sony STR-2400ES and the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE. I've read a lot of reviews on both models now and with What Hi-Fi's review nodding at the Yamaha over the Sony due to the somewhat crazy price drop on the product, this looks like it may win my cash. I also like the Yam for it's omission of receiver capabilities (presumably to cut cost and provide a more dedicated solution) - something I've never used on my existing Denon and don't forsee ever using.

I had liked the idea of keeping with Sony to match the my other components (PS3 and Bravia tv) but I guess there's no real advantage to this... With the PS3 being only bluetooth controlled (without additional modification) I'm still gonna have to use at least two remotes anyway. Unless I get a BT to IR converter, I can't use the Bravia-sync tech to its full.

Anyone have any drawbacks/pitfalls to mention re the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE. I've found it at a steal at just £494! Considering only a couple of months back this was marked up at £800 (then reduced to £600) - that's incredibly good value.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Bison:
Thanks for the feedback so far Movies and Music and Gerrardasnails. :)

@ M&M - I think I'll have a browse around for last years models to see if I can get a good deal.

@ Gerrard - I did foresee a drop in price range (on old vs new equivalent models) equaling a drop in quality somewhat, so I totally agree with what you've said there. Interesting to hear your opinion of the HD formats too. I am looking forward to hearing some of these new audio tracks.

At this stage I'd have to say I'm swaying between the Sony STR-2400ES and the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE. I've read a lot of reviews on both models now and with What Hi-Fi's review nodding at the Yamaha over the Sony due to the somewhat crazy price drop on the product, this looks like it may win my cash. I also like the Yam for it's omission of receiver capabilities (presumably to cut cost and provide a more dedicated solution) - something I've never used on my existing Denon and don't forsee ever using.

I had liked the idea of keeping with Sony to match the my other components (PS3 and Bravia tv) but I guess there's no real advantage to this... With the PS3 being only bluetooth controlled (without additional modification) I'm still gonna have to use at least two remotes anyway. Unless I get a BT to IR converter, I can't use the Bravia-sync tech to its full.

Anyone have any drawbacks/pitfalls to mention re the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE. I've found it at a steal at just £494! Considering only a couple of months back this was marked up at £800 (then reduced to £600) - that's incredibly good value.

It's supposed to be a great amp.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I would go for the Yamaha, they where originally £1k when released. Things have moved on alot from a few years ago so I wouldn't be at all suprised if the Yamaha sounded better than your amp, even at it's £500 price tag.

A

Anonymous

Went from a 3802 to a 3808 earlier this year, HD sound is great, 2 extra zones are good but I find the video switching/scaling fantastic.

3808 can be had for a grand, over your budget I know but worth saving for.

R

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the responses/advice all. Looks like the Yamaha is the most favourable option at the moment. It seems like a really good bargain at the price.

I'll update this post when I've decided and actually ordered something.

Any further comments in the mean time will be more than welcome.
emotion-5.gif

highfidelity

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I bought the Yamaha 863SE but find the sound too bright. I am now looking at the Denon 2809 which has a much superior build . Furthermore unlike the Yamaha it decodes DSD direct to analogue with internally converting to the decimating PCM in Pure Direct mode. You can also use a much better mains cable unlike the rubbish one on the Yamaha. Listen for yourself take absolutely no notice of the What Hi-Fi ? reviews that do not give a technical report or mention partnering equipment.

A

Anonymous

HI, I have the Denon 3802, would the Onkyo TXSR606 at £350 (£400rrp) be a good substitute in sound quality to the Denon. Its been raved about in all the mags, and does everything.

Its got HDMI 1.3a* Audio and Video Processing (1080p; 4 Inputs and 1 Output)

140 W/Ch Minimum into 6 Ohms, 1 kHz, IEC (1 Channel Driven) around the same output as the Denon 3802.

Or even the Onkyo TXSR806 (rrp£800) for £599.99 has the following,

[*]THX Ultra2 Plus Certified with THX Loudness Plus
DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus Decoding
HDMI to Support Deep Color, x.v. Color, LipSync, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD
HDMI Audio and Video Processing (1080p; 5 Inputs and 1 Output)
[*]180 W/Ch Minimum into 6 O, 1 kHz, IEC (1 Channel Driven)

If anyone has these or could assist,

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts