HD no good or something wrong with my eyes on panasonic tvs.

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi, parents had a 3year old HD ready 37" panasonic. My dad went an bought a new 42" panasonic G10 the other day just out the blue. On there old tv they couldnt see any difference in HD and standard. My dad got excited when he got the new tv as he thought he was gonna get amazing HD picture quality. Low and behold my mum couldnt see any differnece in HD and standard and my dad said he saw a tiny bit difference. Definatley not enough to bother with HD. I too could only see a tiny amount of difference. I dont get it. I can see a difference on my samsung at home but juat cant seem to on parents plasmas. I know everyone says plasmas are better, but maybe my eyes dont see it. HD and standard look the same. Parenst only use the standard HD cable that came with sky. Im gonna take round an old qed performance hd cable to see if that makes any difference. But i dont understand when panasonic always get great reviews, yet my samsung has better picture quality and can really see the difference with HD, but cant on the g10, or the tv my rents had before it.

Also when on a sky HD channel, is it always in HD, or is it only a certain programme. Thanks.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Well, not everything transmitted on the Sky HD platform is actually souced from HD and correct me if I'm wrong, but in the HD program guide, only the items indicated in orange are classified as HD.

At the moment, I'm watching 8 out of 10 cats broadcast on 4HD with a Sony 52W4500 and trust me, you can almost cut yourself on the picture clarity, colours are sparkling.
In fact, the PQ is almost as sharp as Jimmy Carr's wit.

The problem with HD is that with good quality source material, it's amazingly good but with poorly coded stuff it's amazingly good at showing up the limitations of SD.

For the record, I'm NOT using the original Sky HDMI lead but one that cost about 20 pounds.

nads

Dont forget that the Transited HD channels are NOT 1080p.

they are HD ready (1080i or 720p).

My Mum was not too impressed with their Sony TV untill i feed it some 1080p BD material then it was OH thats what it is all about.

mikey2008

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Davro83:

Hi, parents had a 3year old HD ready 37" panasonic. My dad went an bought a new 42" panasonic G10 the other day just out the blue. On there old tv they couldnt see any difference in HD and standard. My dad got excited when he got the new tv as he thought he was gonna get amazing HD picture quality. Low and behold my mum couldnt see any differnece in HD and standard and my dad said he saw a tiny bit difference. Definatley not enough to bother with HD. I too could only see a tiny amount of difference. I dont get it. I can see a difference on my samsung at home but juat cant seem to on parents plasmas. I know everyone says plasmas are better, but maybe my eyes dont see it. HD and standard look the same. Parenst only use the standard HD cable that came with sky. Im gonna take round an old qed performance hd cable to see if that makes any difference. But i dont understand when panasonic always get great reviews, yet my samsung has better picture quality and can really see the difference with HD, but cant on the g10, or the tv my rents had before it.

Also when on a sky HD channel, is it always in HD, or is it only a certain programme. Thanks.

So, overall, does the SD and HD PQ look poor? If not, I guess it's a bonus.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
When you switch to an HD channel, just make sure that specific programme is being broadcast in HD. On a 42" screen the difference should be pretty marked.

GazzyP

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Be sure the TV is taking the HDMI signal and not the SCART signal, if this is still connected. Some TV's require you to manually select the HDMI input.

I would pull out any SCART leads to be sure.

Sorry if this is a little obvious - but worth a try!

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
as mentioned check all the sky hd settings. I have the 42G10 & the picture is fantastic on the HD channels. Again it makes a difference what its broadcast as, some HD channels are not HD quality, as mentioned see the channels that are highlighted orange that indicate they are hd broadcasts. If the orange programmes are not highlighted you can go into the menu settings and get it to highlight them. Oh and i have the picture format set to auto as i have it going into my amp which does its own upscaling etc so best to check what you think is best for the tv.

Even my dad who says 'a t.v is a t.v' was impressed with the PQ over his sony lcd & he can now even see the difference on his own t.v going from scart to hdmi for his tiscali tv.....

Davro83

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi, went round yesterday and took my blu ray player to see. Blu ray was very nice, even tho i didnt think it had the wow factor like i find with my samsung i have or a few friends sets. (1 sony, 1 philips) I guess my eyes just prefer LCD to plasma.

Anyway as for the Sky and HD, its not just the HD thats not very good. The picture in general is pretty poor. I put on freeview from the panasonic freeview box and picture was much better. Found out on here that Sky have a rubbish SD picture??!! Cant believe they get away with it. I took a close look at HD channel and thought it looked how SD should look. And the SD was just pants. Have sky set to 1080i, with HD qed cable, tv set up correctly and no scarts plugged in. ANyway i gave up after my dad didnt even notice a difference on blu ray. I was watching dark knight on blu ray and he came in and sat down

"whats that box on the floor?"

"my blu ray player, im testing it on your tv"

"Whats blu ray?"

"Better quality picture and sound"

"What when watching tv?"

"??? You have to buy blu ray disks for it, like a new film, then put them in the blu ray player like DVDs."

"Put it on then"

"This is one. This is the dark knight. The latest Batman film"

"Oh....................looks the same"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts