HD-DVD Toshiba HD-XE1 replacement - due when??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In my never ending quest for a disk spinner, I can't help but be attracted to the Toshiba HD-XE1. Partly because it may play my DVDs better than my Pioneer, it'll act as a transport for my CDs and play HD-DVDs very well indeed. But well enough? That's what I'm not sure about. With no ability to decode HD soundtracks in my amp, I'm reliant on the player to do it for me and the Toshiba only has 5.1 channel audio outputs. So when is it's replacement due to be released? prcdirect are selling the current model for £420 delivered which is a bargain, but should I wait for a 7.1 channel version or just get on with it and enjoy? View and News on forthcoming releases please!

A

Anonymous

Apparently there is a new range due out next month. Anyone know ANYTHING about this?

Why is there NEVER anyone that works for the manufacturers on here to give the inside line?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Assuming that you read this?

Latest word from Tosh is that we should have the new players to test in a week or so, with stocks in shops late October.early November.

A quick Google search throws up this retailer showing UK pricing and November availability for the higher-spec model....

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare, yes I'd heard of the 30 and 35 models. Thing is, I was really after an upgrade on the XE1 with a 7.1 channel audio out section. Any chance they'll update or replace the XE1 with a better model?

Is the Onkyo likely to be better than the XE1?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well the '35 supports 7.1 via HDMI....

Tosh says the XE1 continues as the top-spec model for now. I get the feeling they're concentrating on getting mass-market sales numbers up with the new budget models before they re-address the higher-end market again (many of whom have bought first-gen players already).

Can't second-guess the Onkyo, i'm afraid - we've learnt not to presume anything (good or bad) about products from anyone!

All incredibly frustrating, I know - HD (on either format) has the potential to look and sound so stunning, and yet all the pieces of the puzzle stubbornly refuse to fall into place. Still, there should be a lot of new players in the shops by Christmas - including those hybrid machines....

A

Anonymous

I'm a patient man.

Not that I have a great deal of choice these days!

The XE1 sounds as though it has the quality of SD playback coupled with HD video that I'm looking for. The DAC in my Denon amp is pretty good with CDs and DVDs so I'll let it continue with those duties, but with no HDMI in my amp, I need a really good analogue stage in my HD disk spinner to take advantage of the new audio formats. And that should mean a 7.1 channel output. Sadly the XE1 only has a 5.1 channel output.

So thinking about waiting! If you don't think it's worth waiting, I must say £420 is sounding pretty appealing!

A

Anonymous

Oh God. I'm the top poster today. And I have only said hello a few times! Sooo going to be fired. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Will, do you not need your player to be multi-region for your dvd collection? To my knowledge the Tosh HD deck can not be hacked for multi-region dvd playback.

As to a HD player I would hang fire and see what the Samsung BD-UP5000 hybrid player ends up like, as this will be profile 1.1 compliant and fully HD-DVD compatible and looks like it will have 7.1 outputs for our older amps and also the benifit of hedging your bets as to which if either HD format ends up coming out on top.

Personally tho I dont care how good the HD player is at playing dvd's and cd's as I intend to stick with my Denon 3930 for those duties.
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

I know you do Krimey, but I'd be happy with a little bit of improvement and the Tosh would bring that.

I don't have any region 1 DVDs. So, no, I'm not fussed about the lack of multi-region. After all, I don't plan to buy many more DVDs after upgrading to HD. And as HD-DVD is non region coded, it won't matter thereafter.

You make a good point re-hedging and waiting for a 7.1 output machine. I'll hang fire.

Re-wired my system last night. No longer bi-amping. Went back to letting the Denon power the Centre bi-wired and the Audiolab power the front left and right, in bridged mode bi-wired. I can't tell the difference. It's annoying!

A

Anonymous

I think it's my player. I need a new one with excellent sonics. Maybe then I'll be able to tell the different set-ups apart.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts