hd dvd player or upscaling dvd player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi,

current set up: sky + box, xbox 360, cambridge audio azur 640c, cambridge audio 540a, b+w 602s3, denon 1720 dvd player

im just about to take a leap into the world of flatscreen and hd and buy a panasonic 42pz70.

it looks at the moment that blueray seems to be winning 'the race' but there are no players out there within budget (£200) for me that will give great upscaled playback with my small dvd collection (i usually rent from blockbuster - who dont rent hddvd only blueray at my local branch!) im thinking to wait a while until prices drop on blueray and the quality improves to splash out a bit more on one of these players.

until this time im in 2 minds as to go for a budget upacaling dvd player or a toshiba ep30 that i am happy to pay £150 for as a stop gap filler as my denon doesnt upscale so am presuming the dvd pictiure on the pana will be pretty lousy.

i dont have surround sound as i dont want to have speakers for music and for movies both in my lounge! so i am currently routing all my sound through my stereo amp and speakers.

also what hdmi cable would you reccomend for around £50?

many thanks for any advice!

ant

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Depends really, if you only want upscaled DVDs until a Blu-Ray player comes down in price to under £200 (which probably won't be that long away), I'd go for a cheapo but decent DVD upscaler. However, could always get the EP-30 and rent HD-DVD films from LoveFilm...

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Given the recent price cuts, I can understand the appeal of the Toshiba EP30 as a stopgap player. As we said at the time, it delivers great DVD performance (and that was when it cost £250). Picture-wise, it's a match for many dedicated DVD players at a similar price. So if you're not bothered about HD-DVD, go for it.

A

Anonymous

thanks very much guys for the quick response!

think ill probably go down the toshiba route for now, unless anyone knows of and news in the pipeline for new bd players coming out in the near future? id hate to go and buy the toshiba then find a great bd player out next month, I was hoping there were going to be some in march issue of the mag, but unfortunately not!

any recomendations for the £50 hdmi cable?

ant

A

Anonymous

Same semi-dilema I had. Went for the EP30 as it seemed a no brainer after my research into it. The only thing you might lose vs upscaling players is that the EP30 only plays region 2 standard DVDs whereas some of the upscalers are multi-region.

But then I only had 2 region 1 DVDs, so game on with the EP30 for me!

A

Anonymous

Just about to buy Pioneer PDP508XD

and aV receiver (see other thread!! Onkyo 705, or Marantz 7002 or Denon 2808)

worried about format wars but as most DVDs I watch are rented thought about EP35 -any reason not to get this at this price point? e.g. would a Denon or Marantz SD player be better for audio and PQ for standard DVDs

A

Anonymous

[quote user="GarethG"]

worried about format wars but as most DVDs I watch are rented thought about EP35 -any reason not to get this at this price point? e.g. would a Denon or Marantz SD player be better for audio and PQ for standard DVDs
[/quote]
Hi Gareth.
You don't mention the model's so i assume you mean the £200 Denon 1940 and £300 Marantz 6002.
The Denon and Marantz were group tested in WHFSAV and the Denon won the test.
But the £189 Toshiba ep-35(2 free hddvd's ) as a dvd player is as good as Denon 1940 according to WHFSAV.
But if you want some thing to match a £600 Denon 2930 then you need the £350 Toshiba XA-1.Again it's as good as a Denon
2930 according to WHFSAV.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="burhan"][quote user="GarethG"]

[/quote] Hi Gareth. You don't mention the model's so i assume you mean the £200 Denon 1940 and £300 Marantz 6002. The Denon and Marantz were group tested in WHFSAV and the Denon won the test. But the £189 Toshiba ep-35(2 free hddvd's ) as a dvd player is as good as Denon 1940 according to WHFSAV. But if you want some thing to match a £600 Denon 2930 then you need the £350 Toshiba XA-1.Again it's as good as a Denon 2930 according to WHFSAV.[/quote]

Yes thanks -would probably be comparing 1940 to the EP 30 (or 35 can't tell the difference!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts