HD audio question

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I have a Pana DMP BD30 blue ray outputting audio as PCM (converting HD sound off the discs) my NAD T-163 Decodes this to surround sound, is this HD audio or do I need to get something like the T-175 HD to get better sound?

Chris

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
cheyworth:
I have a Pana DMP BD30 blue ray outputting audio as PCM (converting HD sound off the discs) my NAD T-163 Decodes this to surround sound, is this HD audio or do I need to get something like the T-175 HD to get better sound?

Chris

Are you connecting the Pana to the NAD with analogue cables via multi channel? If the answer is no, then you are not getting HD audio. If you are, then yes.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
If you have the two connected via optical or digital coax, you're not getting hd audio formats, just the good ol' vanilla formats e.g. DD / DTS. I don't think the T-175 can handle hdmi audio either, I think it simply switches it. The Audiolab 8000AP can do what you want or you could add one of these

http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDMIto71.htm

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
d4v3pum4:
If you have the two connected via optical or digital coax, you're not getting hd audio formats, just the good ol' vanilla formats e.g. DD / DTS. I don't think the T-175 can handle hdmi audio either, I think it simply switches it. The Audiolab 8000AP can do what you want or you could add one of these

http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDMIto71.htm

Much easier to buy three pairs of stereo interconnects and keep the NAD.

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Question guys.

In January i'm looking to replace my receiver & tv & possibly my DVD player.They will all have hdmi connections.Having read here advise that phono cables should be connected to obtain HD audio comes as a bit of a shock,having removed them in favour of optical & co ax audio in my present set up.

I thought that the HDMI cables carried HD sound.Have i got this wrong. I thought hdmi would remove some clutter with them replacing my scarts,didn't anticipate having to re-introduce the phonos.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Digital Optical and Digital Co-axial have insufficient bandwidth to carry HD audio. HD audio can be output as bitstream (raw data) from the player for external decoding by the amplifier (equipped with suitable HD audio decoding) or it can be decoded internally by the player and output as LPCM. This can be transmitted over HDMI or using the player's DAC, decoded and converted to analogue and output over multi-channel analogue cables. The latter method is used mostly by those folks with older amps that lack HDMI.

Phono carries two channels (stereo) but they're just a single length of cable capable of carrying one channel of audio. In a stereo setup, this is simply left and right but obviously in a multi-channel setup, each length of cable carries a single channel of audio. As I said, using multi-channel phono cables is for people with older amps and those that use SACD and DVD-Audio.

If you're buying new equipment including Bluray (BD) player and AV receiver, they will invariably be equipped with HDMI, so don't worry and obviously when you come to buy, check the reviews and post further questions on the forums.

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
d4v3pum4:
Digital Optical and Digital Co-axial have insufficient bandwidth to carry HD audio. HD audio can be output as bitstream (raw data) from the player for external decoding by the amplifier (equipped with suitable HD audio decoding) or it can be decoded internally by the player and output as LPCM. This can be transmitted over HDMI or using the player's DAC, decoded and converted to analogue and output over multi-channel analogue cables. The latter method is used mostly by those folks with older amps that lack HDMI.

Phono carries two channels (stereo) but they're just a single length of cable capable of carrying one channel of audio. In a stereo setup, this is simply left and right but obviously in a multi-channel setup, each length of cable carries a single channel of audio. As I said, using multi-channel phono cables is for people with older amps and those that use SACD and DVD-Audio.

If you're buying new equipment including Bluray (BD) player and AV receiver, they will invariably be equipped with HDMI, so don't worry and obviously when you come to buy, check the reviews and post further questions on the forums.

Thanks & will do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts