HD audio from Sony 550 or 350

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have an old Sony DAV S800 home cinema kit. I'm looking to purchase a new blu ray player to hook up to the S800. problem is that S800 does not have HDMI input. It has audio in inputs (L & R), and an optical input.

Will i get good qaulity HD audio from a Sony 350 via the optical cable, or will the anolougue outputs on the Sony 550 connected to L & R inputs on the S800 be better. I know the S550 has onboard HD decoding so am assuming this will be the better option for audio quality.

Or would I really be better waiting till I can afford new home cinema kit with HDMI input.

Any help will be appreciated

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid you won't get any HD sound from either of the proposed connections. Otical will only carry regular DD/DTS, and you need a full set of inputs (6 or 8) not just the stereo pair for analogue connections to the 550.

The choice is yours. You could happily run a Blu-Ray player with your current set-up (My parents are running a 350 via optical through the DAV-S550 I gave them when I bought my current kit, and regular DD/DTS sounds fine), then when funds allow you could get a new receiver that'll allow you to hear those all important HD soundtracks.

You can get an older A/V amp if you wanted, but you have to ensure it has a full set of multi-channel analogue inputs (Again this will be 6, or even better, 8 connections (if you're sticking with 5.1 speakers, 8 won't be required)). You will also have to buy the 550, as the 350 doesn't have multi-channel outputs.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help. That's really useful information.

Cheers

Ian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts