HD audio codec receivers Vs non HD audio codec receivers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been hoping to buy an HD/Blu Ray player and also upgrade my AV receiver for some time now and had my mind set on the Sony STR-DA1200se receiver, however since the release of the new Onkyo series, im now not so sure.

The reason for this is that i have been reading that at present HD/Blu Ray players internally decode the new HD DD/DTS audio codecs, and can only output these via HDMI and 5.1 analogue as uncompressed PCM, meaning you dont require the onkyo's on board HD audio decoders. And the only reason you would require these decoders is if the HD/Blu Ray players sent the codecs as bit stream.

My question is, if and when HD audio can be sent via bitstream from HD dvd players for the receiver to decode the signal, will the sound quality be superior to letting the player decode it, leaving a non HD receiver to proccess it via HDMI or 5.1

I really dont want to spend the extra cash on a full spec HD audio equipped receiver if a model such as the Sony 1200es etc can give just as good results via uncompressed pcm. And if this is the case will my old Denon receiver with its 5.1 inputs do the job just as well.

Has anyone any comments on this, or am i completely off track with my thoughts.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Two points worth considering:

1. The Sony can't handle Linear PCM, nor any audio, via its HDMI inputs.

2. The analogue output from these players can be up to 7.1 channels.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Two points worth considering:

1. The Sony can't handle Linear PCM, nor any audio, via its HDMI inputs.

2. The analogue output from these players can be up to 7.1 channels.

[/quote]

Hi Andrew, I noticed in your July issue of WHSAV that it mentioned that the sony STR-DA5200es allows you to hear the uncompressed 5.1 soundtracks from HD discs. Can you please clarify if this is through its 5.1 analogue connections rather than HDMI.

If it is through 5.1, is there any sonic benefits other than the extra 2 rear channels, in buying a receiver with HD decoders built in. I mean if your gonna buy an HD DVD player with all the on board decoders built in why buy a new receiver with them also built in.

My standard def Sony dvd player has built in DTS decoders and i connect it to the 6 channel input of my old Denon Dolby Digital receiver and i get great results, does it not work this way with HD/Blu Ray players with decoders.

Im sure you get fed up being asked these sort of questions and repeating yourself, but you can get information overload online these days. Maybe you can do an article on HD for dummies, as i feel like one at times when i read these forums. Bring back VHS and co-Axial.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The STR-DA5200ES accepts Linear PCM via HDMI, as indeed do the less expensive DA3200ES and the pricier DA5300ES.

Why buy a receiver with built-in decoders? Could be because some of the HD players we've tried to date have pretty woeful digital to analogue conversion...

A

Anonymous

Cheers Andrew,

Thats helped clear up a few of my concerns over choosing a new receiver. Nice to get a straight answer thats not full of techno waffle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts